Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you folks have real world comparisons in 29er disc wheels? I'm no a huge weight weenie, but coming from a mostly track/road background I really appreciate quick wind up and low rotating mass. Will be laced to either Paul or likely White Industies SS disc hubs and a set of Stans ZTR 355 29er rims. I've had good luck with the DB14 on road wheels I've built, but no experience with the XL14. 155-165lb rider, rigid SS XC use.

Thanks guys,

E

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump....

I dug around, but did not see specific comparison between the two spokes with the lengths I'm looking at.

Thanks again,

E

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
You're looking at pretty much standard DB spokes vs Revolutions.

Revolutions are not normally recommended for disc wheels, and you were looking at a 29" bike. My gut says no due to the extra lenght and braking loads, but you also weigh in at 60 lbs less than I do.

I'm 200 lbs and have run both on front wheels (with rim brakes) and they've held up well. I have not run the XL's on a disc wheelset, but for the extra 40-60g of weight on a 26" wheel, I'll take that for the sake of peace of mind.

The lightweight spokes I have heard used for disc wheels typically are DT Supercomps, or Sapin X-Rays.

If you want someone with practical experience I'd suggest asking Larry or Mike Garcia (at Mountain High Cyclery or Odds and Endos respectively.)

Good luck,

JmZ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts