Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a L 2019 YT Jeffsy for like 2 years and have been riding pretty aggressively in the PNW. Enjoying riding at places like: Galby (and surrounding areas and trails), Tiger, Raging River, Darrington, etc. I had a coil shock on the Jeffsy and always ran the rear suspension pretty stiff.

I've known for a long time that I have ridden pretty far in the back seat but have really tried to change that and have worked with some coaches to break bad habits and make sure my riding was at least decent. All that said I never liked how hard it was to be poppy on the Jeffsy and I always felt like it would buck me on just about any jump. After riding a Kona Process 153 I decided it was the bike and I wanted something that felt a little more confident out front as well, considering my weight and my riding style I figured I'd really enjoy moving to a 36mm stanchion fork. I was also washing the front end out a lot and felt like I was losing some balance and being cautious in corners unnecessarily.

I recently picked up an XL Ibis Ripmo AF and like how playful it is. I've been riding Duthie and spent a weekend at Silver Mt. and really felt like I had it dialed. I've ridden it up at Tiger a couple times on things like NOTG and OTG and Megafauna, I've also ridden PT a handful of times on it.

The problem is I feel terrible in chunky riding and even worse when it gets wet out. I rode Darrington back to back weekends. One day in the dry and this past weekend after a little rain and it was rough. Not only did I not feel like I had any control when things got steep I felt like the bike would just slip out from under me when it was wet and we were riding roots or anything slick. I even slowed way down through roots that were making me feel uncomfortable and was still slipping and sliding my way down. I know many of my friends were struggling but I usually feel really comfortable riding in the wet and have never had this many issues. I eventually went down hard enough on a pretty mellow rooty section and jammed my finger hard enough it's all bruised and swollen (but not broken!).

The other thing about the Ripmo is that arm pump is killing me. I never had issues with my hands on the YT but the Ibis is killing me after about 5 minutes of riding downhill I can hardly hold on.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do I need to "relearn" to ride steep tech on the Ibis? **** bike positioning? The wrong size bike? I've been playing with the cockpit set up on the Ibis and when I was at Silver I ended up running the bars very far rolled forward trying to combat some of the sweep on the bars (I know I should pick something else up with less sweep) but they don't seem that swept back imo.

Some details about me and the bike:

Me:
6' 2"
Pretty muscular 265 lbs about 25 lbs up over a year ago
Ride relatively aggressively. Usually pretty fast on more techy riding, but by no means am I the fastest rider on the mountain especially in flow trails.

Bikes:
Previously on a 2018 (or 2019?) L YT Jeffsy CF Pro
Fox 34, stock raceface cockpit, Cane creek coil, I ran all sorts of tires from the E13 tires, Minions, landed on the Aggressor in the back and assegai in the front, always ran the DH casings for tires, and ended up putting cush core in the back cause I kept casing and messing up wheels.

Currently on a 2021 XL Ibis Ripmo AF
DVO Onyx SC D1, DVO Jade coil, hi-fi carbon bars, Assegai's front and rear with exo + casings.

I have had tons of other bikes but these are the two main trail/enduro mtb's.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Your setup is top notch, it's going to be journey to diagnose. Are you able to switch bikes with friends on these technical sections and try them? LBS rental?
I remember watching a Jeff Kendall-Weed Youtube video with him riding a Ripmo. It seemed like a rougher ride than he's used to when conditions got gnarly. Sorry I don't have the link.

I switched from a V3 Tallboy to a Specialized Enduro this year and it took me a few months and quite a few crashes to adjust. Most of my issue was overcoming a long wheelbase.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Going from a Fox 34 to a more substantial fork is going to increase high speed chatter IMO. That 34 had to be flexing like crazy with a guy your size. The stiffer chassis of the Onyx is never going to behave like an overwhelmed 34 but a call to DVO is exactly where I would start. They are great to deal with on the phone and will help you get the most out of that fork.

I don’t know if you can run a 2.6 front tire with that fork but as big of tire as possible+insert and as low of pressure as possible will help a bunch.

·
gravity fighter
Ripmo AF
556 Posts
Well having just picked up an xl ripmo from Fanatik set to factory recommend pressures for my 240 lb self, it practically tried to kill me going down Cougar Ridge on the maiden voyage. I stopped halfway down to let a lot of air out of the front fork and some out of the tires. So much better. It sounds like you're pretty experienced and more aggressive, but I would revisit your pressures on the next ride and try to go lower and see if traction improves.

·
gravity fighter
Ripmo AF
556 Posts
Oh I'm 6'2" as well, and immediately changed the stock bar to a little higher rise with some more sweep (Trutative Steve Smith FWIW). That along with lower pressures made for a very fun Galby day two. The Rip is much more bike than I need lol. Good luck figuring it out. It's all part of the fun.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I picked up a RipMo XL with the Fox38 a couple weeks ago too but from Kirkland Bikes. Great bike but am amazed at how far apart the Fox recommendations are from the Ibis recommendations. I have had a few runs down here at Tokul and am settling closer but a tad firmer then the Ibis fork & shock recommendations.

I need to get this bike up to hit Cougar Ridge sooner then later.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So much better. It sounds like you're pretty experienced and more aggressive, but I would revisit your pressures on the next ride and try to go lower and see if traction improves.
Yeah, I've been dialing it in quite a bit. I also realized that the OTT valve must be blown (broken, lacking?) as I have almost zero support in the top 20mm or so of the fork. I have tried adjusting it but the adjuster is stuck which sounds like a common problem for this fork and being a big guy.

I also had assumed that the suspension settings were at least somewhat "in the middle" but after playing with them all I realize that they were all one way or another. So I've really had a chance to dial in compression and rebound (minus the OTT valve) and it's made a huge difference. I'm still on the hunt for some handlebars but I've gone through three sets of grips or so so far and changed up the pedals (not a hand issue...) and we're getting there. Hands are making it much longer, overall feel on the bike is starting to feel dialed. I'm really surprised how much I've had to get used to it.

I do think my riding style in the steep is gonna have to change a bit on this bike but I've been up riding the exit 27 trails a bit the last few weeks and feel like I'm starting to add speed and really build up on this bike. It also rips on flow-ier trails like CCDHin a way that I never felt on the YT. It's pretty sweet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had similar experience in the wet up here in new england. Especially when its super humid and the roots and rocks are damp, this is usually worse than riding in pure rain. Last season, I decided to do something about it and brought my tire guage out with me. I had been running 22/24 psi, but I began letting air out and it began feeling a lot more secure on the wet roots. I ended up at 15/18, any further and the tires began to roll over some. Now, I run that pressure most of the time, going up a couple psi if I'm going somewhere new or somewhere faster than my normal trails. Tires are 2.35 Maxxis forcaster/ardent race, set up tubeless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.