Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one know what would make my mcr creeeeek.
The guys at my shop are stumped, we took the bb (XT) off and lubbed, tightened three times. we started looking for cracks (with held breathe) none found (the bike is solid)
then we started looking at the rear wheel and skewer... nothing. I'm a big guy and i really have never had a bike that didn't make some noise. my 575 used to sound like it was cracking in half! I do own a single speed that is silent as silent can be and it has some low end truvativ BB. any suggestions or fixes...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, checked, does it when standing as well. Could it just be the flex of the steel frame? any better BB upgrade recommendations? I've had XT on the last two bikes I've had.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome to the creaking club

mberesn1 said:
yeah, checked, does it when standing as well. Could it just be the flex of the steel frame? any better BB upgrade recommendations? I've had XT on the last two bikes I've had.
Check:
Torque on the EBB set screws ~55ft-lb - do not grease the EBB set screw interface per niner bikes

Check Skewers, stem face plate, cables, seatpost and seat, and

your cleats on your shoes as well as the pedals. Also, if you have a Square taper BB, check for tightness and the square hole BB spindle interface.

My frame creaks too when it flexes too, and it makes clicking noises too. Some are saying is the REBA fork.

with all this said, my buddys Haro Mary creaks like a female pig in heat being raped by an elephant.

So even with my minor creaking issues, My S.I.R. is 99% more silent :thumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fish at venture sports figured it out...
It was the back wheel. I have DT Swiss wheels with Center locks, and it was a bit loose.
also the rear derailleur cables needed some lube. nice and stealth now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's back.
but only under real hard efforts (and mostly in middle ring, i don't use the granny at all).
does any body over 220 lbs have issues with the cross29 max wheel. I am thinking it is the wheel set. I haven't been real happy with the DT Swiss x470 anyway. might sell them and upgrade to crossmax's. any body want to buy a used set of DT swiss wheels??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.