Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the flux in XL but I am not able to test ride one. I've been on a heckler the last couple of years. That was my first bike and really didn't know what to buy when I got it. The heckler rode fine as I set it up for more xc than am. I did notice the bob when climbing and that was the main reason for wanting a new bike (well that is the excuse I am using).

I'm 6'3" and ride mostly tight, rooty, and twisty singletrack down here in Texas with the occasional trip to the hill country for more flowing singletrack with more climbs. I tried out a 2010 stumpy 29er but just couldn't get used to the new setup. I prefer a nimble bike as I like to pick my lines clean and like to finesse the bike through the trails. The 29er smoothed things out (almost too much) but I couldn't throw the bike around like I was used to . Got back on a epic today and felt much more at home. The local shop sells mostly specialized but thinks I would be better off with the turner flux.

How are you big guys liking the xl flux? I've been on a few xl 26ers that felt way out of whack. My impression is most big guys are opting for the sultan but I really think I am a 26 kinda guy with terrain I face down here.

Thanks for your input

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
LunarDDS said:
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the flux in XL but I am not able to test ride one. I've been on a heckler the last couple of years. That was my first bike and really didn't know what to buy when I got it. The heckler rode fine as I set it up for more xc than am. I did notice the bob when climbing and that was the main reason for wanting a new bike (well that is the excuse I am using).

I'm 6'3" and ride mostly tight, rooty, and twisty singletrack down here in Texas with the occasional trip to the hill country for more flowing singletrack with more climbs. I tried out a 2010 stumpy 29er but just couldn't get used to the new setup. I prefer a nimble bike as I like to pick my lines clean and like to finesse the bike through the trails. The 29er smoothed things out (almost too much) but I couldn't throw the bike around like I was used to . Got back on a epic today and felt much more at home. The local shop sells mostly specialized but thinks I would be better off with the turner flux.

How are you big guys liking the xl flux? I've been on a few xl 26ers that felt way out of whack. My impression is most big guys are opting for the sultan but I really think I am a 26 kinda guy with terrain I face down here.

Thanks for your input
It's a terrific bike. It climbs spectacular and decends with confidence. I put a 120 mil fork on mine and it rides great. Highly recomended.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=584662

btw - I'm 6'4" and ride an xl with 100 mil stem. The bike weighs a hair less than 25 #'s as pictured.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are persuasive. Pulled the trigger today. I'll post it up when it gets here. Just the basic XT build. Thanks for the input.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
LunarDDS said:
You guys are persuasive. Pulled the trigger today. I'll post it up when it gets here. Just the basic XT build. Thanks for the input.
Sweet!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
XL Flux

Lunar you are gonna be pumped when your ride your new Flux. I pulled the trigger on an XL DW Flux last July and man I could not be any happier! I debated over L or XL and spoke personally with Dave Turner and he adamantly told me to go XL and he was dead on. I am 6'3" and 185lbs. I run it with a 110 stem and a Fox 15QR Talas. When I first go the bike I rode with it mostly at 100mm but quickly switched to the 120mm setting. Now that is pretty much how I always ride it.

The bike is fast, nimble and carves tight singletrack really well. I will tell you that for the first dozen or so rides I felt like it was too big but now I wouldn't go down a size. I had to acclimate to full susp. coming from a hard tail that in hindsight was probably a size to small. Cant wait to see your ride!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts