Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as you may well know i'm ordering a Blur but my boss thinks i should get an XL with a 100mm to get a Genisis geo type effect. But, i think i should get a L with a 110mm stem and a laidback seatpost to get my ass over the rear wheel. Anyone under 6' on an XL?

-TS

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
I'm 6' 1/2" & have a L with a 120mm stem. I started with a 110, but was a little squished. I think this is a good all-around trail-bike set up. My old hardtail was more racey and much more stretched out. It would get uncomfortable on long rides. If you like this stretched out feeling, then the XL isn't TOO far out of the realm of reasonable, since SC tends to run a little short in the top tube. Otherwise, yes, you are likely smoking crack.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CraigH said:
I'm 6'2" and on a large. I can't see riding a bigger frame.

Find a L & XL to try.
Yea thats the thing i have about 6 XL to try and ride all i want but no larges. I just got off a Cake with a 24.7in toptube with a 90mm and didnt feel too stretched out. I might break the trend and go XL..........hmmmmmmmmmmm

-TS

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I am 6'1" and have an XL and it does not feel even close to being too big. I am using a 120mm? stem and a straight post. I am thinking a layback would stretch out the cockpit a bit.

With the majorly sloped top tube, you should have abosulely no problems at all.

Oh yeah, I used to ride a XL Fisher Genesis geometry bike.

·
being is
286 Posts
Do It!

I'd do it in a NY second. I'm 6-1 and can't find anything long enough in the top tube. Most XL's are too short for me :mad: There are so many advantages to running a shorter stem w/ a longer top tube. Gary Fisher might be a self serving poser but he's right about the geometry thing (and the 29" thing too :) ). It's so much easier to develop power when you are stretched out properly. I'd say if that fisher felt right then that should leave no doubt in your mind.

Be advised that you can get used to anything. I've experimented a lot and found that I like a stretched out and tall front end. Stretched out for comfort/power and good fore-aft balance, tall for anti-endo effect. Most folks fit bikes kinda like they do ski boots. Your first impression is usually wrong. Ski boots need to feel too tight at first and bikes need to feel just the opposite: a little too long/big.

Gofer it.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pseudo intellectual said:
I'd do it in a NY second. I'm 6-1 and can't find anything long enough in the top tube. Most XL's are too short for me :mad: There are so many advantages to running a shorter stem w/ a longer top tube. Gary Fisher might be a self serving poser but he's right about the geometry thing (and the 29" thing too :) ). It's so much easier to develop power when you are stretched out properly. I'd say if that fisher felt right then that should leave no doubt in your mind.

Be advised that you can get used to anything. I've experimented a lot and found that I like a stretched out and tall front end. Stretched out for comfort/power and good fore-aft balance, tall for anti-endo effect. Most folks fit bikes kinda like they do ski boots. Your first impression is usually wrong. Ski boots need to feel too tight at first and bikes need to feel just the opposite: a little too long/big.

Gofer it.
Yea i think your right. But i also think i had a growth spurt or something because i rode an XL with a laidback seatpost and a 135mm today and didn't feel too stretched out at all. Hmm....i need to remeasure myself. I also think im gunna score a Mintue 2 for the front until the new Reba comes out. (My SID sucks so the Reba better be badass or RS will lose a customer for life.)

-TS

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
TheSherpa said:
Well, as you may well know i'm ordering a Blur but my boss thinks i should get an XL with a 100mm to get a Genisis geo type effect. But, i think i should get a L with a 110mm stem and a laidback seatpost to get my ass over the rear wheel. Anyone under 6' on an XL?

-TS
I'm 6'2" and ride an XL blur. The 120 stem that came on the bike was too long, so I went to 110 and I have a lay back post that came on the bike, but my seat is pushed all the way forward in the mount. The bike now fits me well. However, body sizes are all different in terms of upper body, lower body, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I were 3 inches shorter, I don't think this bike would fit me.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I'm 6'4 1/2 and on a Large w/130 stem & Easton Carbon lay-back post. Hi-Rise Monkey Lite and an Inch of stack under the stem.
Maybe I'm F'd up - actually I am, I have a full extra vertabrae in my back and a 35/36 Inch inseam and my bike fits well.

Take a look at the Wheelbase of an XL w/a 4 Inch fork before you decide. - If you ride anything w/tight switchbacks it'll be tough, Now immagine it w/a 5 Incher out there.

The Fisher btw has shorter Stay's than SCB's & everyone else btw......

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
DMFT said:
I'm 6'4 1/2 and on a Large w/130 stem & Easton Carbon lay-back post. Hi-Rise Monkey Lite and an Inch of stack under the stem.
Maybe I'm F'd up - actually I am, I have a full extra vertabrae in my back and a 35/36 Inch inseam and my bike fits well.

Take a look at the Wheelbase of an XL w/a 4 Inch fork before you decide. - If you ride anything w/tight switchbacks it'll be tough, Now immagine it w/a 5 Incher out there.

The Fisher btw has shorter Stay's than SCB's & everyone else btw......
XL wheelbase is 1/2" longer than L. I ride tight switchbacks all the time and its not problem at all. Having said that, I agree with your conclusion that L is the right size for the thread starter. I'm glad you like your bike and that it works for you, but I don't think it will be right for most people of your height/size.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EJBlur said:
XL wheelbase is 1/2" longer than L. I ride tight switchbacks all the time and its not problem at all. Having said that, I agree with your conclusion that L is the right size for the thread starter. I'm glad you like your bike and that it works for you, but I don't think it will be right for most people of your height/size.
Well i just measured myself and i'm 6' now.....i grew an entire inch in 3months!!! I'm also 6'1" with my cycling shoes on and am still growing. Plus i like riding a bigger bike with a shorter stem.....maybe im just weird and plus SC has XL Blurs in Ano Black.

-TS

·
Registered
723 Posts
TheSherpa said:
Well i just measured myself and i'm 6' now.....i grew an entire inch in 3months!!! I'm also 6'1" with my cycling shoes on and am still growing. Plus i like riding a bigger bike with a shorter stem.....maybe im just weird and plus SC has XL Blurs in Ano Black.

-TS
I'm 6'5" and I just got off an XL Fisher Sugar 3+ with a 25.4" top tube and now have a XL Ano Black Blur (24.1" TT) with a 130 x 10 stem and Thomson layback seatpost...and I think it may be too small. Have had the bike for three months but due to a neck injury, have only been able to ride very much at all...

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MCF said:
I'm 6'5" and I just got off an XL Fisher Sugar 3+ with a 25.4" top tube and now have a XL Ano Black Blur (24.1" TT) with a 130 x 10 stem and Thomson layback seatpost...and I think it may be too small. Have had the bike for three months but due to a neck injury, have only been able to ride very much at all...
I'm going XL.........now the harder choice, Ano Citrus or Ano Orange.

-TS

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
If you are looking at L or XL frame, the SID is probably to light & flexible of a fork for you unless you are racing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts