Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got the SRAM xgen front derailleur (high clamp) to replace my cheapo Shimano.

Since day one, had a problem with chain rubbing, despite setting it up according to the manual. I have it set up as a top pull with a TRuvativ Firex crank, on a full SRAM (even the chain) drivetrain.

Here's how it goes.

When I shift into 1st gear (biggest cog) while in the middle chainring - chain rubs against inside arm of derailleur. Chain also rubs against the outer arm of derailleur when I'm in the large chainring and in three highest gears (smallest cogs). I can adjust the barrel adjuster to eliminate the rub on the middle chain ring but this makes large chain ring rub worse. In the same vein, I can adjust barrel adjuster to minimize rubbing from gear 7 and 8 while on the large chainring, but this means I cant use gear 1 and 2 while on my middle chainring. In any case, I can't use my 9th gear (smallest cog) on the large chainring. Doing so means I can't use my granny low. Where I ride, the granny's quite useful.

While, I can actually live without a few high speed gears, I shouldnt, especially with a new derailleur. My old shimano worked all gears when properly adjusted.

What in the world is wrong? It seems the range of motion isn't right, as it can't get far enough out to clear the chain when in the large chainring and highest gears, at teh same time, it can't clear the chain when in 1st gear in the middle chainring. :confused: :confused: :mad:

Any tips or fixes will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Frankie - B said:
Did you already trie the High/low screws?
Also double check if you've mounted it at the correct height above the large chainring and then see if the cage is properly aligned w/ the chain. Although it may be off by just a small amount both can cause some rubbing. Check www.parktool.com for more installation/adjustment info if you don't have another reference other than the SRAM instructions. Just go through their procedure by the numbers and you should be good.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
cobym2 said:
just got the SRAM xgen front derailleur (high clamp)
What in the world is wrong? It seems the range of motion isn't right, as it can't get far enough out to clear the chain when in the large chainring and highest gears, at teh same time, it can't clear the chain when in 1st gear in the middle chainring. :confused: :confused: :mad
cobym2, i just started having the same problem with mine. Have you found a fix or a workaround yet? What's status w/your bike right now? Thanks,

Tom

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fc_biker said:
cobym2, i just started having the same problem with mine. Have you found a fix or a workaround yet? What's status w/your bike right now? Thanks,

Tom
No such luck yet. I installed the FD according to the instructions on the manual. I even took it to my LBS and said he can't figure it out. I will experiment on the placement and positioning again, this time not according to the manual. If that doesnt work, I'm going back to my shimano.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What i found is that the shift point on the outer cage of the SRAM derailleur was pressed in too far compared to a Shimano. Since you have both, you'll see the difference i'm talking about. What i did was install a Shimano deore and that solved the problem. Wouln't suggest using SRAM after this experience.

Tom

cobym2 said:
No such luck yet. I installed the FD according to the instructions on the manual. I even took it to my LBS and said he can't figure it out. I will experiment on the placement and positioning again, this time not according to the manual. If that doesnt work, I'm going back to my shimano.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Finicky, but I got mine to work.

I did get mine to work, but it's definately finicky. I was originally going to get the new XT, but I had an opportunity to get the X-gen for build cost so I said what the heck I'll try it.

In all honesty, I much prefer like the way it's built with the huge pins and beefy bone links... the complete opposite of Shimano with only a slight weight penalty. SRAM is on the right track and I think with a few tweeks here and there it will be a far superior product.

Anyway, in order to stop the rubbing I had to put it as close the large chainring as I could and made sure it was exactly parallel with the chainrings. Also, I took a metal file and shaved a couple of microns of metal off the cage on both the low and high sides. This is sort of a pain I realize, but the rub has gone away and now it shifts perfectly.

Good luck,

EndUser

PS: SRAM, if you are reading this.... take note and fix.

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the tips. I will definitely try to get this thing to work again since I sold my old shimano FD. I will also try filing off the rubbing parts. Hey SRAM! as EndUser said, listen up and fix this FD up, and then maybe you can send us some free samples for product testing, hehe.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,120 Posts
It sounds similar to symptoms I used to have with Suntour drlrs. I preferred them because the cages are really narrow, resulting in faster reacting shifts, but the drawback was always some rub. To live with the faster shifting I wanted to keep, I started using shifters that gave you some micro adjustment for gear combinations that caused the rubbing. I've been using twist shifters with nine different indexes, or an old friction thumbshifter. It quickly became second nature to make the slight trim, and I still have this combo on a few bikes. I'd personally rather live with this combination than have a wider caged drlr that doesn't react as quickly.

Rando

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've almost reached the end of my patience. I've tried all adjustments, spent a day filing the inner sides of the cage, and a whole night trying and retrying different FD positions.
No such luck. As for shifting responsiveness, its ok. But I think I would rather have slower shifting than not being able to use around three or four gears.

As of now, when trying to power up a short hill, I have to mash the pedals with a too tall gear. Then going down a long gradual descent, and on fast roads, I look silly doing a cadence of 120 pedalling a too short gear. I'd rather get to the correct gears without rubbing, albeit slowly, than get to the wrong gears quickly.

I'm giving this piece of ______ another dose of the file and another night of painstaking adjustment. If still no luck, I'm sending it back (or at least I'll try to, having filed it and all)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here is something new:

cobym2 said:
I've almost reached the end of my patience. I've tried all adjustments, spent a day filing the inner sides of the cage, and a whole night trying and retrying different FD positions.
No such luck. As for shifting responsiveness, its ok. But I think I would rather have slower shifting than not being able to use around three or four gears.

As of now, when trying to power up a short hill, I have to mash the pedals with a too tall gear. Then going down a long gradual descent, and on fast roads, I look silly doing a cadence of 120 pedalling a too short gear. I'd rather get to the correct gears without rubbing, albeit slowly, than get to the wrong gears quickly.

I'm giving this piece of ______ another dose of the file and another night of painstaking adjustment. If still no luck, I'm sending it back (or at least I'll try to, having filed it and all)
1. Call SRAM and seek enlightment;
2. Go to the Park Tool website (http:\\www.parktool.com) and look - really really really read - their front der setup instructions and follow them exactly. Not mostly but exactly. you should never have to file a der.
3. Did I mention to call SRAM? They have ALWAYS been very helpful to me. Maybe your der - that you just wasted by filing it - is a known non-compatible? SRAM may know. Hey, they sell thousands of these, maybe then have some inside information for ya. I wonder how Cannondale makes them work . . .?

Hope this helps.

Rick

·
Registered
22 Posts
I must say the xgen FD is not as crisp as the XTR or even XT. However, it will run much better if used with gripshifters (X.0 specially). Gripshifters have 'half clicks' which enable you to have more room for alignement while shifting (Which could solve your issue). Anyway, thats just my observation. Aside from that, Xgen is far cheaper than the XTRs...

cobym2 said:
just got the SRAM xgen front derailleur (high clamp) to replace my cheapo Shimano.

Since day one, had a problem with chain rubbing, despite setting it up according to the manual. I have it set up as a top pull with a TRuvativ Firex crank, on a full SRAM (even the chain) drivetrain.

Here's how it goes.

When I shift into 1st gear (biggest cog) while in the middle chainring - chain rubs against inside arm of derailleur. Chain also rubs against the outer arm of derailleur when I'm in the large chainring and in three highest gears (smallest cogs). I can adjust the barrel adjuster to eliminate the rub on the middle chain ring but this makes large chain ring rub worse. In the same vein, I can adjust barrel adjuster to minimize rubbing from gear 7 and 8 while on the large chainring, but this means I cant use gear 1 and 2 while on my middle chainring. In any case, I can't use my 9th gear (smallest cog) on the large chainring. Doing so means I can't use my granny low. Where I ride, the granny's quite useful.

While, I can actually live without a few high speed gears, I shouldnt, especially with a new derailleur. My old shimano worked all gears when properly adjusted.

What in the world is wrong? It seems the range of motion isn't right, as it can't get far enough out to clear the chain when in the large chainring and highest gears, at teh same time, it can't clear the chain when in 1st gear in the middle chainring. :confused: :confused: :mad:

Any tips or fixes will be greatly appreciated!

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
deeptrail said:
I must say the xgen FD is not as crisp as the XTR or even XT. However, it will run much better if used with gripshifters (X.0 specially). Gripshifters have 'half clicks' which enable you to have more room for alignement while shifting (Which could solve your issue). Anyway, thats just my observation. Aside from that, Xgen is far cheaper than the XTRs...
Yup, just learned from local wrench that xgen FD has some issues with trigger shifters and even older indexed grip shifters. He said it was designed for use with grip shifters with micro-click adjustments (?). He mentioned a lot of xgen users returning or trading in their xgen for others.

Just a thought, if there was a way to adjust my x7 trigger shifter so that it makes a bigger/longer pull on the cable when I shift into the large chainring, wouldnt this solve the problem? Maybe the shifter has a problem too? I hope not.

Anyway, I am getting an XT FD and will install it soon with the x7 shifters. I'm also trying to borrow a shimano shifter. Ill try to use the shimano shifter with the xgen. The point being to isolate the problem - the shifter or the FD? :confused: Wish me luck with my experiment.
(SRAM should be paying me for this) :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is this really true? I just changed out my Hone front der for a SRAM XGen in my IH MKIII Expert. I was experiencing some chain rub at the high and low cog positions on the middle chainring, at the largest cog and smallest chainring, and at the smallest cog and largest chainring with the Hone that no amount of adjusting would fix. I switched it out for a XGen figuring it might give me a little more clearence considering I'm using a SRAM X9 rear with triggers. After switching it out I still get the same chain rub, although it may be slightly more pronounced.
I don't feel like going back to the Hone because I wasted so much time already trying to dial this thing in here. Not to mention I stupidly spent a vast majority of time trying to keep my chain from rubbing on the bottom of the front der in the granny gear until I realized that with a full suspension bike this problem goes away once you actually sit on the bike (rear wheel movement due to the suspension). I had been working soley on the workstand since I took shipment of the bike, It finally dawned on me that "Hey, the rear wheel should raise up when I sit on it, raising the chain and preventing bottom rub". DUH!! Felt like a moron once I actually sat on the bike and my slow-concieved hypothesis turned out to be true...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Go Shimano (for now)

Workaround = XTR front der.
I tried the SRAM Xgen fd and had many of the same problems you describe. I tried to give it chance but in the end it was not worth it. SRAM may get it right eventually, but I have no desire to do R&D for them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
KERKOVEJ said:
Yes! The SRAM front der is designed to work with Grip Shift with the micro adjust. If you are using X7 or X9 3 speed trigger on the left side you need to run a Shimano.See picture below
I am also interested in if this is true since my Hone self-destructed tonight.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nonsense

KERKOVEJ said:
Yes! The SRAM front der is designed to work with Grip Shift with the micro adjust. If you are using X7 or X9 3 speed trigger on the left side you need to run a Shimano.
This is Nonsense. SRAM's Dealer manual compatibility grid for the X7 and X9 triggers shows that they are compatible with BOTH SRAM and Shimano FDs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Kobalt,
If you end up grabbing the SRAM FD let me know how the setup goes and if you are able to get it all dialed in correctly. I'm still having problems, but I am fairly new at doing my own work on my bikes.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.