Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was preparing for an XCO event but it was canceled so I will be racing an XCM event instead. This will be my first XCM race and would like to know about the average HR you guys have on XCM races of around 50 miles.

My LT was 176 before I began my training 4 months ago (I don't know now, but I hope it increased), so I was planning on staying between 144-163 BPM. This one in particular has 8,200 feet of accumulated climbing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't done a 50 miler, but I think that you might be able to hold a average HR closer to your LT. After all, it is a race, not training, and your adrenaline will be pumping, competitive spirit also pushing you to your limit for longer than normal.

I did a dualathlon (run/mtn. bike/run) and before the race I said to myself, ok, just stay in heart rate zone 4 and you'll be ok. Yeah, for the first 30 seconds I was in HR4... In the end, I averaged 91% max HR for 2.5 hours. And I felt great! (must have been the adrenaline and excitement of the race!haha) Sorry if this doesn't help but I think just maybe you can push harder to your LT and hold it longer because it's a race...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't done a 50 miler, but I think that you might be able to hold a average HR closer to your LT. After all, it is a race, not training, and your adrenaline will be pumping, competitive spirit also pushing you to your limit for longer than normal.

I did a dualathlon (run/mtn. bike/run) and before the race I said to myself, ok, just stay in heart rate zone 4 and you'll be ok. Yeah, for the first 30 seconds I was in HR4... In the end, I averaged 91% max HR for 2.5 hours. And I felt great! (must have been the adrenaline and excitement of the race!haha) Sorry if this doesn't help but I think just maybe you can push harder to your LT and hold it longer because it's a race...
Yeah, that is so true. That is my concern right now, to push too hard and run out of fuel before the end. I guess testosterone and adrenaline will triumph over logic after all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was preparing for an XCO event but it was canceled so I will be racing an XCM event instead. This will be my first XCM race and would like to know about the average HR you guys have on XCM races of around 50 miles.

My LT was 176 before I began my training 4 months ago (I don't know now, but I hope it increased), so I was planning on staying between 144-163 BPM. This one in particular has 8,200 feet of accumulated climbing.
My LT is also around 176-178 and I recently completed some races... during a 4 hour race covering 46 miles with aroung 5000 feet of climbing, my average HR was 168. I completed a 90k TT on the road bike which took me 2.5 hours and averaged 173 (stong headwind for half though). A 100k mtb (4hours 45mins) which had lots more fireroad than the 4 hour I averaged 164.

I hope this helps as a guide.

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
50 miles isn't very long, by my standards anyway. But for sure it will be different to XC. I train with power and not HR so ive forgotten a lot of the HR numbers, I imagine i would be around the 158-162 average for that length. Also i think its better to go out hard from the start over a race that short, better to finish with an empty tank than still having something left in reserve.

Just go by how you feel i'd say.

·
SSOD
826 Posts
Yeah, that is so true. That is my concern right now, to push too hard and run out of fuel before the end. I guess testosterone and adrenaline will triumph over logic after all.
If this is your fist distance race don't treat it like a xc 2hr race. Your conditioning should be fine if you are competitive and train regularly. HR wise, for races over 3hrs, I attempt to stay in zone 3, but often avg a zone 4 reading. For shorter xc races, I will usually avg right at or several beats below my LT, (185-188ish) for longer races like 6hr+ mid 170's depending on climbing.

I don't know your scenario but if you treat a 50 miler like a xc race, you could blow your wad. Hrs 3 and 4 really will start to eat at you if you run in the red your first 2 hours then try and recover on the bike.

Like damitletsride said, 50 miles isn't that long but until you have done a couple and know how your body is going to react to multiple hours in the saddle it's tough to say. I'd pace myself the first 2 hours then open it up in hrs 3 and 4+. Good luck

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
I don't know your scenario but if you treat a 50 miler like a xc race, you could blow your wad. Hrs 3 and 4 really will start to eat at you if you run in the red your first 2 hours then try and recover on the bike.
I think it's Ok to go in the red on the first climb, if the pace is fast and you want to stay ahead with the lead group and avoid all the carnage going into the first downhill. Wouldn't stay in the red for an extended period of time though.

Depends on your goal for the race really.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts