Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've been facing an agonizing question ... should I spec out the XCL with a 454 U-Turn Coil Pike and 20mm Front wheel, or should I go with a standard QR and a Fox Float ... OR, should I just offer both, and if so, which one would be more popular??

·
mmm
952 Posts
CHUMBAevo said:
Okay, I've been facing an agonizing question ... should I spec out the XCL with a 454 U-Turn Coil Pike and 20mm Front wheel, or should I go with a standard QR and a Fox Float ... OR, should I just offer both, and if so, which one would be more popular??
I vote Pike. For as stiff as a frame that people tell me the XCL is, I'd like to match it to a stiff front end.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
walrasian said:
I second that, the pike would be nice, but the fork that should be offered would have to do with the target consumer, are they more XC or a little more rough and tumble.
Yeah that's tough! I'd want a Pike on such a stiff frame, but would most in the market for this bike want the Fox?

I certainly vote Pike though, maybe it would speak to how confident you are in the toughness of this frame? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Pike. Travel adjust and maxle seem like a natural fit for thc xcl. I would think those interested in the xcl would apreciate the extra beef up front. I like the idea of offering the air and coil versions, if possible; I could see a lot of people going air on that bike to save a little weight.
Just spec it out with the best front wheel possible for the budget, so people don't mind so much if they can't switch over a QR wheel from another bike.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
blackagness said:
Yeah that's tough! I'd want a Pike on such a stiff frame, but would most in the market for this bike want the Fox?

I certainly vote Pike though, maybe it would speak to how confident you are in the toughness of this frame? :thumbsup:
Man, I am really suprised so many people want a PIKE -- it looks almost like a unanimous decision~!! It looks like I will have no choice but to offer both -- the PIKE with a FSA DH-300 wheelset, and the Fox Float with a standard QR.

Blackagness, thanks for your input. We are a really small company, and we appreciate the input of all riders. I want to let you know CHUMBA is a company that premises the performance/durability of our frames on real world testing, its often done with freeriders/racers who throw more abuse at the bikes in a matter of months, than most bikes will go through in years. If we see any weak points in the bike, we will reinforce the area immediately or make it stronger -- one of the advantages of having in-house prototyping: changes are immediate. Thats why you see all of the gussetting on the front triangle, as we've found those to be stress points. The XCL you see, is probably in its 6th or 7th version, being modified over the years to improve its design, making it stronger and perform better. :)

A.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
XCL 2007 Spec
Fork: Pike 454 U-Turn Coil
Wheelset: FSA 20mm Wheelset
Handlebar: FSA 20mm rise
Stem: FSA 100mm
Seatpost: FSA
Front Der.: Shimano XT E-type
Rear Der.: SRAM X9
Shifters: X9 Trigger
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
Cranks: FSA Afterburner Mega XO
Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.35

Comments please.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
CHUMBAevo said:
XCL 2007 Spec

Comments please.
Love it!!!

This FSA DH 300 wheelset must be new, I'll have to check that it out. I had the XC 300's and they wern't bad.

But yeah, dig that build. For as far as trying to appeal to a wide range of people... that range appeals to "people" like me almost to a T. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
CHUMBAevo said:
XCL 2007 Spec

Comments please.
That build looks sweet... the wheels are also unknown to me, but I am pretty sure FSA make decent wheels :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
XCL 2007 Spec
beautiful. I bet the pike will be a pretty common choice.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've got the poploc on my 426, so I use it. It's been through several gnarly crashes w/out being damaged, even hit hard directly on a rock about a month and a half ago w/ no real damage, just some scratches. The thing's pretty durable.
That said, If I built the bike again, I wouldn't order the poploc. It's very easy and convenient, but I kind of feel like it clutters my bars, and it's one more cable to worry about.

·
Registered
768 Posts
As I've gotten more used to pedaling the Evo, I use the locout less and less anyway. It's pretty easy to reach down and hit a lockout lever on the crown while riding too.
I guess XCL owners MIGHT ride more stuff that lockout would be helpful on (fireroads, etc...), but you've geared that bike towards the gnarly xc/am crowd for sure. I say skip the poploc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pike

This is my first Rockshox fork since SRAM took over the company and the Lyrik has just made a believer out of me. When David insisted that the Lyrik was the way to go on my EVO I went with it and I have no regrets. I was a Marzocchi man before this.

In this case I'll go with the Pike and no poploc. The EVO climbs so well on the Lyrik without having to lock the front.

My only problem in the Philippines is service. Alan, do you think you could hook me up with Rockshox so I could represent them here?:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.