Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to figure out what strength loc-tite (blue it now seems is about right) to use on bolts on the XCL frame I have. And I hear that there is a known issue with frame bolts backing out. Yikes!

I have just bought one of the ones that does NOT have "the setscrew" - should have done more homework I guess. So how many have had experiences with these frame screws backing out and what kind of riding/conditions were/are you riding? Has this been resolved and how or do you still have issues? Did the blue loc-tite do the trick?

I'm 6',1" , 225 and will be riding strictly agressive XC in NE FLA with a trip or two a year to slightly higher elevations. No drops for me more than 2 - 3 feet - it's just not my thing. So this is probably not as big an issue for me since I hardly ever leave terra firma but I just wanted to have an idea of what's going on with the non-setscrew frame screws.

Yes I will read further into the forum and some more refined searches.

Thanks e.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Blue didn't work for me, trying the red now. The problem really is getting the threads clean enough for loc-tite to work.

·
Long Live Long Rides
397 Posts
third time's a charm

My XCL is about 12 mo old and has backed out twice: 1) as it came from the factory 2) using blue loctite. I am running 6 months now after using red - so far so good. Clean ALL threads before using.

Riding was general XC: some ups, some downs. some rocks, some logs. Mostly wet conditions when the back outs happened, but I think it was due more to bad loctite than conditions.

Overall it's a great bike, I love it for exploring trails. Don't stress about the bolt, just use the red.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Trails4Two said:
My XCL is about 12 mo old and has backed out twice: 1) as it came from the factory 2) using blue loctite. I am running 6 months now after using red - so far so good. Clean ALL threads before using.

Riding was general XC: some ups, some downs. some rocks, some logs. Mostly wet conditions when the back outs happened, but I think it was due more to bad loctite than conditions.

Overall it's a great bike, I love it for exploring trails. Don't stress about the bolt, just use the red.

From the factory?! Yikes!

I guess I better get to pulling my crank apart so I can loc-tite all the bolts after cleaning them. Does red loc-tite on the frame bolts void the warranty? Red is supposed to be a permanent thread locker no? Well of course not truly permanent (death/taxes) but if I have to use heat to get the red loose then that's surely going to void anyone's warranty. Yep too late I'm sweatin' the red loc-tite.:skep:

Edit: Is there anything special about taking the stock Stylo crank apart? Just loosen the non-drive side allen and voila? Loc-tite the bolt behind the chain rings and reinstall with 425 -478 in - lb? Sound right?

·
Long Live Long Rides
397 Posts
seeing red

It was the folks at Chumba that told me to red loctite it, so I bet they would stand behind it. Due to the varied and sometimes bizarre methods of home mechanics, they might be understandably shy about making a blanket warranty statement on the web. If you have any questions/concerns/issues just call them, they are great to work with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too had to resort to using red loctite… but don’t worry about it. It lasted an entire year of weekly + riding for me and over the winter, I was able to remove the bolt without any problems.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I mentioned in a recent thread that there are more grades of Loctite that exists than just "blue" and "red".

There are medium/higher strength blues made, a green, and then red. I tend to recommend against Red for such applications because more often than not, the green would be more than sufficient for tough bike applications, plus it can be taken apart without risk of snapping heads, fastener rounding, etc. Enamel paint markers are what's used on such things as exhaust studs, for instance, and I have used that method in the past with good results.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roger that.

I'll see if I can locate some green.:thumbsup:

I asked CHUMBA twice, at least, in emails regarding loc-tite during this purchase but never received a direct answer. So I thought I would ask here to see what the masses are using.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jerk_Chicken said:
"Localized heating" in this case could mean something as simple as a hairdryer or soldering iron on the bolt. IME, the green is really strong and I wouldn't run the risk of red pulling threads out. I've done it on engines and it wasn't pretty.
I can imagine.:eek:

GREEN it is. Now, where is my torque wrench ...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Trails4Two said:
It was the folks at Chumba that told me to red loctite it, so I bet they would stand behind it. Due to the varied and sometimes bizarre methods of home mechanics, they might be understandably shy about making a blanket warranty statement on the web. If you have any questions/concerns/issues just call them, they are great to work with.
Hmm I wonder what they say now? What about it Chumba? (Ooops. EDIT: not red but green) Green loc-tite all the frame bolts is a good idea and does not void the frame warranty? Or do I void the warranty when I have to use a torch to try to get the frame apart in the future? Thanks.

·
Ride Hard. Go Fast.
260 Posts
In a year's worth of riding I had the pivot bolt next to the Front Deraileur come loose. After the second time, I decided to use something more substantial than loctite. I wrapped the threads in plumber's tape and screwed it back in. I'm happy to say after 2 months of really beating up the bike on jumps (that's all I've been doing on my XCL as of late) the bolt has stayed in place. Truth be told, I was too lazy to run to the store to get loctite and I found the tape in my toolbox and decided to give that a try -- so far so good. I actually used it on my IS bolts for the rear brake caliper and same good results.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is it just me or does it seem ridiculous that people are arguing over which loc-tite to use?

For a $1500 frame, why isn't the answer NONE!!!

I like the XCL and have been looking at it and comparing it to other frames, but I think this is becoming a deal breaker.

Rather than giving instructions on how to fix it (lame). Why is there nothing being said like "we are working to fix this situation on future version".

It is not like it is on a case by case or certain year, it seems that it goes to all generations/years which means there has not even really been an attempt to correct it.

I have been contemplating having a custom XCL fabricated, which I assume would drive the price over the $2000 range. However, If I have to worry about something as stupid as loc-tite and a screw, then I guess I'll just stick to Turner, Nicolai, etc...

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Turner uses loctite as well. In the past, it was a green thread locker that was so tough that several either destroyed the bolts and/or damaged tools in the removal process. He has since changed the strength, going back to a medium. Most companies use loctite. Our bikes experience lots of vibrations and shocks that can load and loosen fasteners, so I really don't think it should be a deal-breaker. However, I'm always weary about using red loctite on relatively soft threads.

·
Long Live Long Rides
397 Posts
slayer2003 said:
Rather than giving instructions on how to fix it (lame). Why is there nothing being said like "we are working to fix this situation on future version".

It is not like it is on a case by case or certain year, it seems that it goes to all generations/years which means there has not even really been an attempt to correct it.
I think it's already corrected. Many posts talk about new XCL models having a set screw to prevent backout. Also I thought it was just a couple of years that had this issue (I could be wrong though) I'm not thrilled about having to worry about it, but overall it's no big deal to me if the loctite holds. I tend to loctite many things on a bike anyway - if I'm going to not ride a Chumba because of this, I would have to not use disc brakes for fear of the rotor coming loose...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts