Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started out at the end of CO67 to access the upper parts of Springbrook. I wanted to see the usual muddy areas to see if they've dried out.

When bushwhacking off trail I see cool things I never saw while riding. Trees growing against all odds, cool views of stuff from different perspectives. The muddy areas weren't that bad. I say, ride Springbrook tomorrow, guilt free. Lots of others did today.

When I do this hike I have to pass the area that I crashed on a year and a half ago. It was a year before I could put on a shirt using my left arm and more than that before I felt strong again in the gym. I can finally sleep on my left side. I ride tentatively around my neighborhood on my townie but the memory of that crash won't go away. Hence the black and white rendition of the crash spot.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I met some riders at the junction. They said the mud was almost non-existent, as witnessed by the lack ot said mud on the guy's Trance X2, a bike I've lusted after for awhile. The lady in the group, I swear to god, looked just like Christine Turner, wife of Dave Turner of Turner Bikes (coincidentally enough the bike I was on when I crashed).

When I told her that, it turns out her name is Christa. Too weird!

I bid the group adieu (one of the riders had his own crash story and a freakin' monster operation scar to prove it) and headed back to where I came from, only straight up the hill behind me, which again provided me different views that those from the trail. When I got back to the mesa top I met two of the riders again. Bet they weren't expecting xcguy to be taking their pics there as well!

·
Pivot Rider
1,088 Posts
Yep, I can attest to innocent trails doing not so innocent things to us unsuspecting mtn bikers! :D I've been on my bike 3 times now since Feb 15 (4 times since the accident). My downhill mojo seems to be returning -- my 7 months off a bike leaves lots of huffing and puffing on the climbs. It feels so good! :thumbsup: XC guy -- I've got good thoughts going out to you! It takes a bit to get back in the saddle, but somehow, it feels all good with the world once you're there! :)

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yetigirl said:
Yep, I can attest to innocent trails doing not so innocent things to us unsuspecting mtn bikers! :D I've been on my bike 3 times now since Feb 15 (4 times since the accident). My downhill mojo seems to be returning -- my 7 months off a bike leaves lots of huffing and puffing on the climbs. It feels so good! :thumbsup: XC guy -- I've got good thoughts going out to you! It takes a bit to get back in the saddle, but somehow, it feels all good with the world once you're there! :)
Wow, great to hear you're back in the saddle, at least sporadically. Your crash was more serious/traumatic than mine (witness your hospital time), mine just took for freakin' ever to recuperate from (no surgery which amazed me considering the nature of my wreck). How's your fear of falling? I had none before I crashed on Springbrook, now it's kind of an all-consuming feeling I have once I'm in the saddle. Sucks :madman:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Looks like the guy who demo'd our Anthem X29er yesterday (red and black bike in photo) was having a good time!

Nice pics!

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SkaredShtles said:
That looks like a lazy tree to me... using that rock to prop it up. :D
I think that's a case of when a "somewhat irrepressible force meets a for sure immovable object". That happens to be the tallest tree in that little area. Combination of a helping hand from the rock and a supply of water coming down off the rock even in the lightest of showers.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Kaj said:
Looks like the guy who demo'd our Anthem X29er yesterday (red and black bike in photo) was having a good time!

Nice pics!
I remember his mentioning the 29erness of his ride. Nice he could demo it on such a great day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.