Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my XCE for a month or so now (2nd hand), and it's beautiful. I'm currently running Minute 3's on it but have the chance of some second hand Maverick DUCs.

As the XCE was designed around 100mm forks I'm concerned it'll ride like a chopper, even though the DUCs have a low build height. Anyone tried it? Is it sowrth a go or a silly idea?

Any views or, preferrably, experiences appreciated!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Your front end will be 2 inches taller than designed for. That will take some getting used to, which is not to say that you won't like it. I run a Z1 on a Spot, which is an inch taller than DT designed the frame around and I prefer it to the Vanilla I had on there. I rode in Moab with a guy on a Heckler who had 150mm Z1, which is 2 inches taller than a standard 130mm fork (heckler is a 5" bike) and he loves the ride, with 70mm stem and all.

You can expect a slower handling, significantly larger turning radius, front end that is hard to keep on the ground on tough climbs. Reward would be increased confidence on steep downhills. It is your call. If this is a friend, maybe he'll let you ride it a few times before you give him the money?

_MK

·
Registered
50 Posts
MK_ said:
Your front end will be 2 inches taller than designed for. That will take some getting used to, which is not to say that you won't like it. I run a Z1 on a Spot, which is an inch taller than DT designed the frame around and I prefer it to the Vanilla I had on there. I rode in Moab with a guy on a Heckler who had 150mm Z1, which is 2 inches taller than a standard 130mm fork (heckler is a 5" bike) and he loves the ride, with 70mm stem and all.

You can expect a slower handling, significantly larger turning radius, front end that is hard to keep on the ground on tough climbs. Reward would be increased confidence on steep downhills. It is your call. If this is a friend, maybe he'll let you ride it a few times before you give him the money?

_MK
I agree with this as well. I have a Vanilla RLC currently set at 125 mm. For me personally, it handles a little sluggish in the turns, but I haven't suffered in the climbs that much. One of these days I will get around at dropping the travel down to 100mm.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Do it ......

I've had one on my 5 Spot for more than a year. VERY light and stiff. Six inch travel works great too! Click your cursor on my signature to see a picture of this bike. I've also had a Z1FR on the bike and have a Z150 on my RFX. The zokes are great forks but for my trail riding on the Spot I liked the DUC better because the weight saving helps my feeble endurance..

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
I think it will be too much fork for the XCE. I think the front to rear balance will feel too strange given the differences in travel, not to mention the ride height.

I'd go for an adjustable travel fork instead like a Talas, Reba, or Marathon XC instead. You can pick up the Marathon XC for like $470 through Jenson and it's an absolutely awesome fork!

Farticus said:
I've been riding my XCE for a month or so now (2nd hand), and it's beautiful. I'm currently running Minute 3's on it but have the chance of some second hand Maverick DUCs.

As the XCE was designed around 100mm forks I'm concerned it'll ride like a chopper, even though the DUCs have a low build height. Anyone tried it? Is it sowrth a go or a silly idea?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
mtnbikerx said:
I've had one on my 5 Spot for more than a year. VERY light and stiff. Six inch travel works great too! Click your cursor on my signature to see a picture of this bike. I've also had a Z1FR on the bike and have a Z150 on my RFX. The zokes are great forks but for my trail riding on the Spot I liked the DUC better because the weight saving helps my feeble endurance..
It'll be like putting a Z150 on your spot...too much, imo. The DUC has the same a-c measurement as the Z1. Would you put a Z1 on a $' travel bike?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Farticus said:

Hopefully, your not just a troll....farticus.

Assuming that you're serious.....a DUC will be too long for the XCE. A Vanilla or similar 5" fork would be the longest practical fork for that bike. Your climbing will suffer as will your handling. The downhills will be fine....but that's about all....imo

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I put my Z1 SL on my XCE briefly. Strangely enough it did not see that different than my Vanilla set at 125. Maybe it was because I just wasn't really used to either fork on there at the time (this was years ago), but it seemed surviveable if a bit floppy. It would still be an expensive experiment if you decided it sucked. Then again you could sell the fork pretty easily. I would not recommend it, but there is only one way to convince yourself... ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone

No, not a troll!!

Concensus seems to be that it'd be a bad idea...but I can put them on my S-Works Enduro (which I was going to sell) if they don't feel right. Or sell the XCE & Enduro & get a 5 Spot or even a 6 Pack.

Other fly in the ointment turns out that they take stack height up to 148mm with the low crown they have at the moment, and my large XCE with CK needs ~151mm. So unless I shell out for a new crown they're a no-no.

BTW I have 05 Minute 3's on now which are OK at 130mm but better at @110mm & 30% sag.

Thanks for helping me out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I got a med crown if it helps?

Farticus said:
No, not a troll!!

Concensus seems to be that it'd be a bad idea...but I can put them on my S-Works Enduro (which I was going to sell) if they don't feel right. Or sell the XCE & Enduro & get a 5 Spot or even a 6 Pack.

Other fly in the ointment turns out that they take stack height up to 148mm with the low crown they have at the moment, and my large XCE with CK needs ~151mm. So unless I shell out for a new crown they're a no-no.

BTW I have 05 Minute 3's on now which are OK at 130mm but better at @110mm & 30% sag.

Thanks for helping me out.
I'm selling my DUC32 with medium crown for a steal if you still wanna consider it? Plus I have a large black 5 Spot with CK headset to put them on if you are looking to change frame, PM me if you are interested-I'm in the UK

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tempting..

Dava said:
I'm selling my DUC32 with medium crown for a steal if you still wanna consider it? Plus I have a large black 5 Spot with CK headset to put them on if you are looking to change frame, PM me if you are interested-I'm in the UK
Dava - I'll try to mail you (not a regular here so may get it wrong!) but I'm interested & UK based too. Do you lurk on Singletrack? I'm there most of the time!

What year 5 Spot? Silver rear end or not?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.