Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have just bought a 2002 XCE from the classifieds here, thanks Kevin, and had it sent over here to England.
But a few queries....

It is a 2002 model with a Fox Vanilla RC shock- from reading here it will have the full 4" of travel?

The rocker arms have a small 'x' on their insides - does this mean that these are the standard rockers and not the later ones that'll give the 4" with a Romic combo?
So if I were to change the shock in the future, I would only get 3.6" by fitting, say, a 165mm Fox Float??

It has a 550lb spring. I weigh 11 stone, (150lb) and am a regular all-mountain rider - the Fox importers here in England (Mojo) can tune the shock but they recommend a 650lb spring, I emailed Turner, and Casey replied that 500-550lb is better for my weight - any advice would be appreciated :)

Finally, I think, do the latest spare gear hangers fit older bikes as well - as I need to order myself a spare and also for my mate with a pre-IS disc-mount RFX.

As a newbie to the world of Turners (never could afford one at UK retail prices), can I just say how informative this forum seems to be, and how refreshing it is that guys from Turner Bikes post here themselves - certainly says a lot about their belief in their product!

Cheers all for the advice gained so far!!
Ta
Stu

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
kingerxce said:
The rocker arms have a small 'x' on their insides - does this mean that these are the standard rockers and not the later ones that'll give the 4" with a Romic combo? So if I were to change the shock in the future, I would only get 3.6" by fitting, say, a 165mm Fox Float??
Everything you said is correct.

kingerxce said:
It has a 550lb spring. I weigh 11 stone, (150lb) and am a regular all-mountain rider - the Fox importers here in England (Mojo) can tune the shock but they recommend a 650lb spring, I emailed Turner, and Casey replied that 500-550lb is better for my weight - any advice would be appreciated :)
I'm 185# in street clothes, 195# riding weight. I run either a 550 or 600# spring depending on conditions (generally the 600). My GF rides a 350 or 400# spring (mostly 400) under her bone-crushing 125# self. Mojo is seriously confused. Divide your weight by 0.31 and you will get pretty close to the perfect spring rate for your Vanilla equipped XCE (500#) for general riding conditions.

kingerxce said:
Finally, I think, do the latest spare gear hangers fit older bikes as well - as I need to order myself a spare and also for my mate with a pre-IS disc-mount RFX.
I *think* the design has stayed the same for quite a while 2001-2004 anyway). Just take the XCE's off and try to put it on the RFX. That is your answer, because the current 5-Spots use the same hanger as the 2002 XCE's (I have both).

The last thing is you should get your rear shock "Pushed". Read up on what that means around here. A very worthy upgrade for a great bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers

Thanks for that chaps - I'll try and upload a piccie when I work out how!

The guys at Mojo over here are very well thought of regarding shocks and tuning but I do find it strange that they recommend me have a WAY harder spring than others.
I presume PUSH are in the US - it'll take an age and cost a lot to get it sorted from over here.
I lost a month already without the frame because USPS sent it surface mail when I had paid for airmail.
Not sure if he reads this but I bought it from Kevin Calzia, great guy, very helpful - he had bought it ex-demo from Another Bike Shop in Santa Cruz.

Thanks for you help, sooooooo glad I bought into this Turner thing!! :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
kingerxce said:
The guys at Mojo over here are very well thought of regarding shocks and tuning but I do find it strange that they recommend me have a WAY harder spring than others.
Perhaps they didn't realize that the XCE uses a slightly longer shock stroke than normal (1.75" vs. 1.5") to get it's 4" of travel. That gives the XCE a lower leverage ratio than other 4" travel bikes that utilize a 165mm shock. You might want to point that out to them if you decide to have them do any shock tuning for you.

As far as spring rate, I agree with Tscheezy's recommendations. I'm about his weight, I have used both 550 lb. and 600 lb. springs, and I have yet to bottom either of them. I would think that at your weight, you would have to ride very aggressively to need a 650 lb. spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xce spring

Thanks, have double checked with Mojo and you were right, I would need about a 500-550lb because of the longer shock stroke with the 1.75" shock.

Thanks guys, just wish this typical English rain would stop so I can ride it in the dry!!
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts