Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
Been using LB rims for 4+ years with great luck in the trail category. Warrantied a rim from a crash last summer with no issues, and would buy again easily. Great service and communication. Current setup is I9 Torch to an AM rim (can't recall the model, but it was before the Recon series).

For my new XC build, I need to decide on one of two options:

DT Swiss XRC-1200 25 Spline or
LB Recon Pro XC925/I9 101

Same spoke count, weight within a few grams and price within a few dollars (this is because the XRC-1200 is a $1200 upgrade for Orbea Oiz vs buying the LB Recon's outright).

Only thing helping me decide right now, is that for the same price I'd end up with a set of XR-1650 (can't find any details on them) from the Oiz and the LB Recon's. If I just "upgrade" the XR-1650 to XRC-1200 straight from Orbea, I end with just one wheelset.

I love I9 hubs, but no history with DT Swiss.

I'm heavily leaning towards the LB for the following reasons:
  • Good personal use history.
  • Industry 9 hubs
  • Custom nipple color
  • Lifetime crash warranty
  • OTD at same price as the XRC-1200
  • End up with a back-up wheelset

Which one would you choose and why?

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/wheels-mtb/cross-country/xrc-1200-spline/xrc-1200-spline-25/

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Text Automotive tire Line

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
As background, DT Swiss make great hubs and wheelsets. However, if you upgrade them to 54T (from the typical 18T or 36T), the star ratchets need more maintenance and in a few cases, give issues. There are plenty of threads about this. Search for some combo of DT 240 350 36 54 ratchet

Anyway, I'd buy the I9/LB combo. I'd also think about upgrading to Torch hubs. They're fully proven..and they come in colours :cool:, and I don't know what compromises or innovations I9 made/developed so that the 101's are cheaper... e.g. a 101 freehub is only 50% of the cost of a Torch freehub :confused: The info I've read doesn't really explain it.

Anyway, if you want to use both wheelsets, one thing to look out for is the inboard/outboard spacing of the rotors so that you don't need to move the caliper each time you want to swap wheels. It's not possible to adjust the rotor position with centerlock (CL) rotors, and it's a gamble to rely on DT and I9 having the rotor in exactly the same place (despite what one would think...

I raise this because DT's are usually CL*, the I9's you posted are centrelock. It may be possible to adjust alignment if using adaptors from CL to 6-bolt**...but I've never used adaptors.

If using 6-bolt rotors, it's easy to match alignment between hubs using shims from e.g. Syntace that are as narrow as 0.2mm

If one hub is CL and one is 6-bolt, and if the 6-bolt hub has more inward rotor position, you'll be able to space it out ... and life will be oh-so-easy.

* and I found these, which are are CL https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/dt-swiss-xm-1650-mtb-wheelset/rp-prod150286

** https://www.jensonusa.com/Syntace-Disc-Rotor-Shims

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, thanks for your input.

LB no longer offers the Torch on the website...doesn't mean I can't get them and have them built up etc, but I did like the ease of all-in-one shopping at LB. I do wish the 101's came in colors, but I understand the I9 goal of getting their hubs onto more bikes = some compromises.

The XRC-1200 are Centerlock as well, which is what I prefer. I run centerlock on my trail bike with I9 Torch/LB rims as well. I like the ability to move wheels between bikes in a pinch if I need too for some reason. I run the same brakes (Shimano XT or XTR) as well, which are seconds to re-adjust between the different CL wheels I've run over the years.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
I spend that last two years on all sorts of DT Swiss wheels (1200s and 1500s). The wheels themselves have been absolutely amazing, zero issues with rims on any of the 1/2 dozen sets I had.

But I have been quite disappointed with the bearings in the hubs. On every single wheel set the bearings deteriorated really quickly. This isn't the reputation of DT-swiss hubs and some of the older ones I have are in their second decade of use and are still working perfect. But I have not been impressed with the new ones.

Oh, sweet bike you are getting there. I have this years versos and it has been awesome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.