Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dumped my XM117'S for the 717's to shave some weight and because my ride is an xc bike not an all-mtn.
Bike shop had a great close-out on them.
Anyone have experience with these wheels? And yes i checked out the wheel forum,that board seems to have little activity.

·
fly like a beagle
60 Posts

I have been using these wheels for couple months now and havent had any complaints. Built them with xt hubs. seem very sturdy and take drops well. Using panaracer xc pros and stans no tubes. no flats yet (35 pounds front and rear)

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
GaHeckler said:
I have been using these wheels for couple months now and havent had any complaints. Built them with xt hubs. seem very sturdy and take drops well. Using panaracer xc pros and stans no tubes. no flats yet (35 pounds front and rear)
Did you weigh them? I'm thinking of building up a set of XT/717 but am curious how much they'll weigh. My other option is HopeXC/717.

thnx

Berardino

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
baratta930 said:
Did you weigh them? I'm thinking of building up a set of XT/717 but am curious how much they'll weigh. My other option is HopeXC/717.

thnx

Berardino
I believe the shop said 390 grams and said they were lighter and stiffer than the 117 disks.
I stuck with the stock deore hub.

G

·
I have two sets of 717Discs w/XT hubs

and DT Revolution spokes. No problems with about 3k miles on one set and a bit less than 1k on the other. I also considered the Hope XC hubs but chose the less expensive route in the end. When I bought the second set I chose XT again so I could switch wheels between bikes without re-shimming the brakes.

The 717s are definitely very good XC wheels. I'm an aggressive XC rider, do drops, hit logs and stumps from time to time, and have never had to do more than minor truing with these wheels. I've tried to talk myself into higher end hubs a couple of times (Hope or even Kings), but I keep coming back to the fact that the XTs have been great so far.

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
UKMac said:
and DT Revolution spokes. No problems with about 3k miles on one set and a bit less than 1k on the other. I also considered the Hope XC hubs but chose the less expensive route in the end. When I bought the second set I chose XT again so I could switch wheels between bikes without re-shimming the brakes.

The 717s are definitely very good XC wheels. I'm an aggressive XC rider, do drops, hit logs and stumps from time to time, and have never had to do more than minor truing with these wheels. I've tried to talk myself into higher end hubs a couple of times (Hope or even Kings), but I keep coming back to the fact that the XTs have been great so far.
Yeah, I had decided on getting the XT hubs but then started thinking that maybe the Hopes are worth an extra $60. Still debating it though ...

Who built your wheels?

Berardino

G

·
Both wheelsets were built by Merlin Cycles in the UK

which is no relation to the US Ti frame maker. I'd have to say they make good wheels, but are just a bit short on the customer service (nothing new for the UK really).

The 717s with XT hubs, DT Revolution spokes and alloy nipples (all in black) were about 140 pounds including VAT and shipping. All silver with DT competition are about 110 pounds.

If you're on the fence regarding the hubs, and don't have a money issue, I'd recommend going with the Hope hubs. I didn't and can't complain about the XT's, but unlike many other bike components, you can't just easily upgrade the hubs (attached to perfectly good wheels and spokes) if you change your mind. Either way you'll have good wheels, but if you're like me second-guessing your hub choice might be more painful than parting with the extra 60 bucks.

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
UKMac said:
which is no relation to the US Ti frame maker. I'd have to say they make good wheels, but are just a bit short on the customer service (nothing new for the UK really).

The 717s with XT hubs, DT Revolution spokes and alloy nipples (all in black) were about 140 pounds including VAT and shipping. All silver with DT competition are about 110 pounds.

If you're on the fence regarding the hubs, and don't have a money issue, I'd recommend going with the Hope hubs. I didn't and can't complain about the XT's, but unlike many other bike components, you can't just easily upgrade the hubs (attached to perfectly good wheels and spokes) if you change your mind. Either way you'll have good wheels, but if you're like me second-guessing your hub choice might be more painful than parting with the extra 60 bucks.
You hit the nail on the head. I will be debating with myself forever whether I should have gone with the Hope's if I get the XTs. Now if I get the hopes and they aren't very good, I'll be kicking myself for not getting the XTs :D (The hopes seem to have a good rep so that probably won't happen)

Berardino

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have a set of Xt/717's. Great wheelset! I've ridden them since the start of this season. Done many races and a 24 plus all of the trail riding i do about 3 times a week. have only had to true the rear once. For $200 for the set, all i can say is that im super pleased with them. I have the hope hubs also on another wheelset. Also a great choice. Either way you can't go wrong, both wheelsets spin smooth as butter on my bikes, it's just a matter of cash between them being Hope is a bit more pricey. But on one side i think the hope are sealed cartridge bearing where the Xt's arent.(correct me if im wrong on this). So if you ride alot of mud/water then the hopes may be the better choice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
XC717 (317s)

Bird said:
I just dumped my XM117'S for the 717's to shave some weight and because my ride is an xc bike not an all-mtn.
Anyone have experience with these wheels? And yes i checked out the wheel forum,that board seems to have little activity.
The XC717s are simply the 317s of yesteryear... except the decals. They weigh in at 395 g's avg and are good rims. The only bust on them is durability (some may argue this point, but the reviews on 317s have some durability complaints, mind you these are XC, not freeride rims). Some have great luck, some do not. I debated on 717s or Velocity VXCs. Ended up with VXCs and am happy.

The XT hubs are good and strong. Just remember, Shimano hubs (at least XTs) use regular bearings so be careful to service regularly. I like the cartridge bearings with a labyrinth seal. They are basically idiot proof and service friendly. The Hopes and most other hubs out there use cartridge bearings.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bird said:
I have a set of 717's laced to Chris King hubs and have been very happy with them so far. I've
had them now for about 6 months. As someone said already, a little truing here and there
and there great

1 - 12 of 12 Posts