Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my stock wheelset (Alex TD-17 rims/ Formula Hubs). This setup is a bit on the heavy side and I'd like to upgrade to something lighter.

I'm not very familiar with wheelsets, so can someone give me a few suggestions for what would be a good upgrade? Obviously the most expensive, top of the line wheels would be an improvement, but budget is unfortunately a factor.

Any feedback on the Sun Ringle Disc Jockey?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
skiing9689 said:
I am looking to upgrade my stock wheelset (Alex TD-17 rims/ Formula Hubs). This setup is a bit on the heavy side and I'd like to upgrade to something lighter.

I'm not very familiar with wheelsets, so can someone give me a few suggestions for what would be a good upgrade? Obviously the most expensive, top of the line wheels would be an improvement, but budget is unfortunately a factor.

Any feedback on the Sun Ringle Disc Jockey?
Call mike at www.oddsandendos.com and give him your weight, riding application, and budget and he'll give you the best options. Call don't email

WTB Laserdisc lites are a great value for weight/cost. Combine these with DT XR4.1 rims or Velocity VCX or Velocity synergies at little lower cost that the DTs. WTBs are licensed from American Classic. Older WTBs and American Classic in general gets a lot of bad feedback for poor bearing seals and failures of the freebody. Mike will explain the refinements for the new 2006+ WTB Laserdisc lites. He also has a ceramic bearing upgrade that supposedly works better in wet conditions.

Going up the price scale Hope Pro II hubs are heavier but have great reputations for being durable and good for all conditions.

Chris Kings are the darlings but expect to pay through the nose

DT240s are also expensive but have great reputations

XTR is nice but requires a center lock rotor adaptor that adds weight. XTs are very affordable and make a great option price wise but are heavy though they are durable.

the Ringles have a good reputation but are heavy
DT onyx are good hubs too but on the heavier side

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Maybe these

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A21-Shimano+Xt+Disc+X317+Wheelset.aspx

I bought a pair for my girlfriends bike and they seem pretty good. They are noticably heavier then my X-Max SL's, but they are also 1/4 the price. XT hubs roll great, and even though they are heavier they are at a spot on the sheel that does not rotate so you don't feel the weight as much as you would with heavy rims. Have stayed nice and true, but she weights 110. All in all I think they are a great value in an XC wheelset, and would be a nice upgrade over the wheels that you have.

Best of luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, both of those look like possibilities. It seems like 2000 g for F & R wheelsets is a standard weight for my price range.

Does anyone know how much the TD-17's weigh?

Also, is there any advantage to wheels with alloy spokes?

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
keep it simple and get a set of xt hubs, laced with DB spokes, brass nipples and decent mavic rim. that combo is a solid all purpose wheelset that doesn't weigh as much as most stock wheelsets. Also check out the Mavic Crossrides. They can be found for a decent price and are a good all around wheelset.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's your price range? You haven't mentioned that once here and it will give others a better idea of what to recomend. Personally on my wish list is a set of HOPE ProII hubs, laced to some DT 4.1d's, should be somewhere around 1600-1650g and cost under $400. Right now I'm running the mother of indistructable wheels - XT M756 hubs, laced to Mvic XM321 rims - ain't light, but they're strong and roll well.

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
If you're on a budget, and you enjoy the thrill of gambling like me, GO EBAY!

Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140009283184

Bontrager ceramic XC wheelset, 1465 grams. Watch this auction; I'll bet it tops out at $250 or less. I got a similiar wheelset from this guy (non-ceramic, but 1545 G!) for $179. Best deal I've gotten in some time. NICE wheelset and hasn't needed a truing yet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LyNx said:
Out of curiosity, what's your price range? You haven't mentioned that once here and it will give others a better idea of what to recomend. Personally on my wish list is a set of HOPE ProII hubs, laced to some DT 4.1d's, should be somewhere around 1600-1650g and cost under $400. Right now I'm running the mother of indistructable wheels - XT M756 hubs, laced to Mvic XM321 rims - ain't light, but they're strong and roll well.
I'm really not sure what my price range is. I was originally thinking $200-300, but if something in this range will only be a marginal upgrade, it's not worth it to me. On that same note, I can't see myself spending $800-$1000 on a wheelset.

I would spend up to $400, if the difference is noticable enough.

·
Registered
526 Posts
ashwinearl said:
Call mike at www.oddsandendos.com and give him your weight, riding application, and budget and he'll give you the best options. Call don't email
I 2nd odds and endos. light hub/db spokes/ velocity rims should make a light buget combo. You can get lighter and stiffer than a xmax sl wheelset for about 400 bucks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Go ebay. I picked up a set of Sun UFO Rims w/ Deore Hubs yesterday (new in box) for $65! The Sun UFO Rims are 370g apiece and the wheelset weighs 805 grams front 1015 grams rear. There's a set on ebay now with LX hubs for $90 Buy It Now.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm in that same price budget range when I finally get my new set and there's a good few places you can check to get a custom set built for that price using good components.

I priced out that exact combo at A.E.Bikes and it comes out to about $380 and then shipping. You could also check mtnhighcyclery.com, oddsandendos.com, redbarncycle I've all heard good things about.

skiing9689 said:
I'm really not sure what my price range is. I was originally thinking $200-300, but if something in this range will only be a marginal upgrade, it's not worth it to me. On that same note, I can't see myself spending $800-$1000 on a wheelset.

I would spend up to $400, if the difference is noticable enough.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Like others have said, you can't go wrong with....

Mike at oddsandendos. I bought a set of wheels from him (DT240s / XC717 / DT Supercomp) and have ridden the pi$$ out of them. The wheels have rolled through 2 Transrockies, the Squamish Test of Metal, and numerous trips to B.C.'s best XC trails (B.C. XC = downhill on light bikes!), all with no need for trueing whatsoever. FWIW my wife has the same wheelset from a different source and I need to occassionally give them a massage with the spoke wrench (the wheels, not my wife). I'm no featherweight at 180lbs and she's only 140lbs, both riding the same trails.
Open your wallet and treat yourself to peace of mind with some good hoops.

Have fun,
Dave

·
Registered
204 Posts
sun rhyno lites are boat anchors, they are strong but NOT light.

I'm running some Alex Vectra D2 Pro's (disc specific version) the pair is 1800 grams, they were $200 new. Using IRC Serac XC in 2.1 (485 grams each per my scale) about $22 each...added an XT cassette dropped some more weight....working great so far, dropped 1.5-1.6lbs off the bike with less rolling resistance (tread pattern), for not too much $$.

G

·
LyNx said:
Heck yeah. Shop around, but the parts as they go on sale here and there, then build them yourself. Do the lion's share of the building and then take them to your local bike shop and have them dished and trued for a heck of a lot less than if they did the busy work themselves. Unless you're over 200ish, then skip the 32 spoke crap unless you're going big or shiz like that. You can have it all for 350-400 for a bad arse wheelset. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.