Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new wheelset. Carbon, 29, boost spacing. Going on a rigid hardtail. Most trails here are fairly smooth. Some rock gardens, but nothing gnarly.

I'm 5'11". 160lbs.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You can obviously afford a very nice wheelset.

Building your own? Read some reviews, decide what you want, and get to it.

Shopping for a wheelset? Contact a reputable builder, and discuss your needs and budget. I would believe a builder over anonymous posters on mtbr. They will know what works and lasts and will stand behind their work. Not as expensive as you might think.

I can personally recommend Dave Thomas in Fountain Hills AZ. He built me a set of trail wheels (Project321/Spank Oozy) for a bit over half your budget. They're tough (I'm 220 and ride very rocky trails), ride nice, and are a pound lighter than the stock wheels they replaced.

Mikesee of Lace Mine 29 also has a stellar reputation.

Good luck!

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,789 Posts
What tires are you running?

Good carbon rims (in your price range) are in the neighborhood of $500. Nox, Derby, We Are One, Ibis, Nobl, Raceface (?).

Hubs I like: White Industries, i9 Hydra's, Project 321, Onyx, etc. Industry Nine has made a seriously impressive hub set that's super high engagement, apparently quite durable, light, dead simple to work on and requires no special tools, and has major bling factor. Pretty sweet combo. Though White industries gets my vote for best value Made in the USA hub. Titanium freehub, great bearings, decent engagement (48), Bling, and reasonably priced.

That leaves room in your budget for Sapim Laser spokes. Light, strong, only like $1.20 each. Labor- $100-150 for the pair. Don't forget to use Brass nipples, much more corrosion resistant on a carbon tubeless wheel.

Depending on if you value durability or light weight there's plenty of good rim options out there. You have a solid budget. Find a builder you trust and build your dream wheelset.

(there's also lots of complete wheelset options in your price range)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wont beat around the bush with part and pieces...and with only 80 grams difference between I9 235 ultralite vs the I9 240 ultralite carbon version I went with the alloy and have a bullet proof set of rims..1600.00

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.