Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering upgrading my wheelset. I currently have Deore disc rims, laced to Weinman Zac 19 rims.

I am looking for something lighter. I don't know know what the Zac 19 rims weigh. I'd guess around 500g.

Why do i want lighter wheels? My Giant NRS is a tank, at 30(+?)lbs. Each year i seem to be riding and racing more. I have demoed lighter bikes, and notice the benifit.

I weigh 145-150lbs, and ride XC, with small drops, and rocks, and roots, and singletrack, and all that good stuff.

I don't want to spend too much. I am on a student budget. I may or may not purchase a wheelset this season, but i am looking for suggestions so i know what products i should consider. Upgrading wheels is a decision i have often thought about, but always turned down thus far because i am a cheap***.

I am looking at mavic xc717disc, laced to XT hubs. The price is right, but are they worth upgrading to? Pricepoint and bluesky indicate that they are over 2000g for the pair. That does not seem that light to me, but i guess i can't expect a <$300 wheelset to weigh 1550g. I also don't want them to be so light that they are fragile.

Note: I am from Canada, so it would cost at least $60usd to ship wheels here, and LBS prices are high.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Consider a cartiridge bearing with a good seal set-up ( there are many out there) I believe these last much better through the winter months.

Spend your money wisely, but don't cheap out, this is one of the best upgrades for your bike.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeffscott said:
Consider a cartiridge bearing with a good seal set-up ( there are many out there)
Suggestions?

I know the XT hubs are not great, but that is why they don't cost too much. Very similar to deore, which have given me a few problems...

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I guess that is what I am saying, me and my buddies, seem to run through deore and XT hubs pretty fast in the fall winter spring.

It would be a shame to have to rebuild your wheels (replace hubs) that frequently.

I run the Mavic cartridge bearing system XL and SL with excellent sucess in the tough conditions, I suspect this is out of your price range.

I don't have an alternate suggestion because I have not run anything but Shimano XT or Deore or 525's and Mavic, (my daughter has some old bomb proof Suntour cartridge bearings).

I hope someone can help you sort through the Hopes and Chris kings and wheel builders available.

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
You can save lots of weight using good spokes. Not to mention staying with 32 hole rims. And that will play a much more important role than saving weight in the hubs. It'll cut down on your rotating mass and make the bike feel much lighter (and it will be lighter). Go after DT Revolution spokes. You can easily save about 1/2 pound per rim going with these Revo's instead of more conventional or double-butted. They're tough too. I use them religiously on my DH bike with no problem at all (I'm light too 130#). Recently had a Ritchey OCR rim laced up to a Hope Pro II 20 mm T/A hub with Revo's for my Heckler and its a measley 535 grams. That's pretty light for a somewhat budget rim/hub combo. Those spokes are the ticket.

·
Space for rent...
1,012 Posts
rkj__ said:
Note: I am from Canada, so it would cost at least $60usd to ship wheels here, and LBS prices are high.
You also have the option to ship them to the UPS/FedEx store, for pick-up in Niagara Falls or Buffalo :)

Talk to Larry at Mountain High and he can probably hook you up with what you need at a reasonable price. I just got a set of Hope Pro ll's with DT ex5.1 rims (for my SS) and I'm blown-away by the difference. They certainly are a little over your budget, but I am sure you can get what you want without blowing too much $ and compromising strength/weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.