Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,894 Posts
this is covered pretty well all over the place.

Simply put, the distinctions between the various terms used to classify bikes (and riding styles) are fuzzy. XC most certainly includes racing, since that's a type of race format. There's not really a "trail" race format, so racing isn't really going to be what determines what a trail bike looks like. Enduro is a race format, and we're seeing bikes designed around that race format. Downhill is also a race format, and bikes get designed around that, too. Someone at some point will create a new term somewhere down the line to subclassify racing, or a type of bike and it will overlap some with bikes in other categories.

"Trail" bikes just cover general off-road riding. What will a trail bike look like? That depends on where you ride, but generally speaking, a trail bike will have a little more travel than an xc bike, and be a bit more confident descending than an xc bike. It's still meant to be ridden up the hill, though it may not be as fast or as efficient in doing so as an xc bike. The burlier and more rugged your local trails (or the trails you like the most, at any rate), the burlier of a bike you might consider a "trail" bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is covered pretty well all over the place...
I've done a ton of reading forums, and watching youtube videos. even those titled "what's the difference between.." but they're usually GMBN-produced, and they talk funny. maybe it would be clearer if Seth or Bobo did a video on it (just kidding). i get most of everything else that pertains to my immediate needs, and i see there's some overlap at times, but i guess this one distinction escapes me. I have gathered that a "trail" bike may be more beefier than a typical XC.

Just thought i'd ask. Not shopping for a bike; i just bought a Norco Fluid hardtail. Thanks!

eric
fresno, ca.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
The head tube angle (XC generally is steeper) and the amount of travel are pretty obvious differences but there's also overlap and no rules. The other issue is a lot of bikes are labeled XC but they're not actually race bikes. Hardtails often get labeled XC even though they may be designed more for trail riding (slacker headtube, beefier frame).

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
It's all bollocks. The full-sus bike I have was marketed as a cross-county bike. The next year they marketed it as a trail bike. Trail bike sounds cooler, that's it.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
XC can & often does incorporate roads....

Not to say, I don't - occasionally ride my Trail/AM/Enduro bikes to the trails via the road...

XC predominantly includes Hard Tail bikes...

Although, I occasionally take my All Mountain Hard Tail down some DH trails...

XC has a lot of climbing ^^

But... I have climbed a significant amount on my 160mm travel Enduro rig...

???

Phek'd if I know!!

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'

·
RAKC Industries
3,265 Posts
GMBN guys talk funny lol. Someone lives under a rock :p. Seriously though they have a lot of good info.

Xc vs trail difference is easy really. XC has less travel, more efficient pedaling, lighter weight. Trail is for the guys that ride purely for fun and not about beating everyone to the top of the hill. But one persons fun is another persons " i got better things to do".

Thats my experience with the difference. If your not going to try and podium XC race series, trail bikes are just more fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Cycologist
10,555 Posts
XC can & often does incorporate roads....
Roads? Maybe occasionally some old double track, is that what you mean?

Not so sure about the predominately hardtail either. Though hardtails are certainly fine for XC, just seems like a lot of riders are on full suspension, at least around here.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Guess you missed the Cape Epic...??.

Looked like they were riding on roads to me

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.