Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a bike that will XC and be an All mountain trailbike b/c I live in the Northeast where it is rocky and rooty, lots of short/steep climbs. I like faster bikes...that is why I was looking for comparisons of the Flux, 5 Spot, and 5.5. I can't decide so had an idea...can I build a Flux with a Talas Fork and a Coil Shock and have the best of both worlds (XC and All mountain)? If so, which rear shock do I need to get? Thanks for the help. Also, should I get 2.1 tires or 2.3?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
A light 5-Spot with an air shock and with a Talas or Revelation would be a much better choice than a Flux if you want to beat on the bike. That extra inch is quite noticeable, and you can build a Spot to within about a pound of a Flux.

There have been lots of Flux/Spot comparisons. Some folks own or have owned both. Do a little digging.

·
Huh?
848 Posts
I own a Spot and I find its perfect for the trails here in North eastern MA. My is built up for abuse so it is hefty @ about 32 lbs. Which also makes it a little slower in the flats but the trade off of a bike I know can take everything I dish out ( Lynn woods, B&Ts and all the other secret local trails). Coming from a superlight the extra travel and slacker angles are great for the sudden steep rollers and drops found on these trails.
As Ferris Bueller said " if you have the means I highly reccomend it." or something like that.
Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.