Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 93' Fat Chance came with a Mag20. Finding a Geometry correct fork today (with a 1" steerer no less!) is impossible, so the Ol' Fat is a rigid SS.. and very sweet actually.

But I am getting a custom frame done, and it will be based on whatever fork I choose.. 80mm or 100mm of travel.

For me, 80mm travel is perfect, and i like the way the Hardtails look with an 80. Today i can get the latest and greatest fork in an 80mm from every manufacturer. And 80mm seems to be the XC standard so to speak.

But what about in 5,6 or more years when I am upgrading the fork.. will I still be able to get the Latest and greatest fork in an 80mm... or will the 80's fade like the old 60's did?

The safe choice would probably be a 100mm. But I like the looks of the 80mm on a hardtail, and the travel is perfect. Will 80's still be the XC standard 5,6 or more years from now? And will I be able to buy the Hot 80mm?

Get out your crystal balls!

·
Premium Member
7,227 Posts
I think 80's will be less prominent but still available in 5-6 years. If nothing else, they will probably available in the form of 100mm forks that can have the spacers moved to make them 80mm forks.

I think we are at or near the limit of needed suspension travel for cross country and all mountain riding. As you pass 5 inches, you need ever increasing bottom bracket heights and other compromises to get additional travel. How much benifit is there for 5" over 4" or 6" over 5". People say that more travel is better, but judging by the number of experienced riders that are purchasing hardtails, single speeds, 29" bikes, and rigid bikes, there is something missing in the long travel trail bikes.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Agreed...

Get your frame done at 80mm... I think there will be travel adjustable or "shortable" versions of 100mm forks....

Who knows?? 5 years ago 60mm were norm for racing. Yet you can still find 63mm forks now (RS SID)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Actually I do think 80mm forks will be rare in 5 or 6 years. Not unavailable but not nearly as abundant as now. 100mm is looking to slowly becoming the lowest standard for XC. I do agree we are almost at the limit since going at 100+mm of travel brings other problems such as high BB's and tall front ends which becomes inpractical for XC racing.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
team-lt said:
what? youre thinkin too far into the future. if you like 80 so buy it and ride it
I bought my "be all - end all" bike 10 years ago, a 93' Fat. Killer frame, and wouldn't be buying a new bike if I could find a fork.

I am buying another be all - end all... a Phil wood Pissoff Ti. I plan to be buying another fork for it as well is some years down the road.

I am fine with 80's, but if everything swings to 100's.. then thats what I should probably have the bike designed for.

Seems to make sense to me?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
perryr said:
I bought my "be all - end all" bike 10 years ago, a 93' Fat. Killer frame, and wouldn't be buying a new bike if I could find a fork.

I am buying another be all - end all... a Phil wood Pissoff Ti. I plan to be buying another fork for it as well is some years down the road.

I am fine with 80's, but if everything swings to 100's.. then thats what I should probably have the bike designed for.

Seems to make sense to me?
Seriously, if you can get the frame custom built around 100mm, I say go for it. Match it up with a Minute or F100X and you'll have a a fantastic performer that will ride better and smoother than an 80mm setup. The only reason I still got for 80mm in some of my frames is because any more would mess up the geometry. If I had the option I'd get 100mm as a minimum. Unless you're very short and 100mm would raise the front too much to get the bar height right, I say go for 100, screw what it looks like. Get a fox which has very little exposed stanction and the difference will be hard to tell.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Thanx!

I am 5-10 1/2. Pretty normal proportions. PW would shorten the CC of the seat tube, and use a short head tube to maintain a 30.5" standover. The Frame would be geometry correct for a F100X. So I guess thats the way to go?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
80mm is pretty much the bare minimum travel these days and I agree the trend is more toward 100mm. As Hecubus mentioned with platform or inertial damping, 100mm forks are very efficient. And with the right geometry, the bike can still handle very well. Sounds like a sweet ride so be sure to post up pics when you get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts