Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at getting a bike but am a little confused as to the difference in the styles of riding which influences the kind of bike i am going to buy. i am going to do alot of trail riding with lots of rocks probably from tennis balls size ones to basketball size or bigger. probably will jump off some drops and over some larger rocks and kinda just fool around alot but i definately love trail riding and will do alot of that and want to be able to climb rocky technical hills as well as go down them at a good pace.. i am looking at the stumpy entry level bike forget which one it is but it is the lowest full suspension model they make and the pitch pro. as far as i can tell they are pretty much the same bike but they classify them differently. one is xc trail and the other is an am, from what i read it seems like the same stuff... with am being a tiny bit more biased to better descending... i think at least.

one thing that is important to me is durability. is either one of these bikes more durable then the other, and also i don't know much about the forks but one comes with the fox float and the other comes with pike forks. is either of those forks better then the other?

what would be great is if someone had a pic of what an am bike is intended for and what a xc trail bike is intended for that would probably clear it up alot

sorry for the lengthy topic but i really want to be sure i am getting the right bike for my intentions

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Based on your description...you would do best on a All-Mountain bike. XC bikes tend to be very light and almost fragile for anything other than smooth, groomed race courses. XC bikes also do not have the best descending abilities due to their climbing-specific geometries.

For durability, the AM bike is what you want...

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
its all just words and hype. check out a company like canfield.. their xc bike has 8 inches of travel! then you go to kona and theirs has 3 inches. no meaning behind it really.

pitch is a good bike for a good price. from what you're describing, it sounds like it would be a reasonable match for you too.

·
Hoosier
442 Posts
Its a description of the bikes, you ride them on the same exact trails. XC bikes are more intended for racing, you'll probably end up with an entry-level hardtail which is sort of an in between category and will suit your needs just fine.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
You can ride an XC bike on just about anything.

How fast and how easy you want to make that ride is what makes the difference.

I went from an XC hardtail to a Marathon FS to an XC 29-er rigid and am building an AM hardtail. I ride all the same trails that others ride Stumpjumper Carbon S-works to Enduros. But each bike has a different personality.

It just really depends on where you place your value and what venue you find enjoyment in.

Stick with a trail bike or all-arounder bike like a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR or a Trek Fuel or a Giant Trance and you'll do fine. There are hardtail equivalents too.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
adumb said:
i am looking at getting a bike but am a little confused as to the difference in the styles of riding which influences the kind of bike i am going to buy. i am going to do alot of trail riding with lots of rocks probably from tennis balls size ones to basketball size or bigger. probably will jump off some drops and over some larger rocks and kinda just fool around alot but i definately love trail riding and will do alot of that and want to be able to climb rocky technical hills as well as go down them at a good pace.. i am looking at the stumpy entry level bike forget which one it is but it is the lowest full suspension model they make and the pitch pro. as far as i can tell they are pretty much the same bike but they classify them differently. one is xc trail and the other is an am, from what i read it seems like the same stuff... with am being a tiny bit more biased to better descending... i think at least.

one thing that is important to me is durability. is either one of these bikes more durable then the other, and also i don't know much about the forks but one comes with the fox float and the other comes with pike forks. is either of those forks better then the other?

what would be great is if someone had a pic of what an am bike is intended for and what a xc trail bike is intended for that would probably clear it up alot

sorry for the lengthy topic but i really want to be sure i am getting the right bike for my intentions
Hope this helps you ,
xc = 4 " fast smoother trails , 2 ' drops
trail = 5 " rougher trails , slightly bigger drops , decends better than xc
am =6 " approaching dh , still able to acend as well as decending better than am

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what are your opinion on durability as far as frame, fork and swingarms are concerned when you are doing drops or jumps bigger then what the bike is meant for what is the most likely thing to break..... it seems as the pitch is using the old stumpy frame and the stumpy is now updated so the frames won't be any stronger then the other and i don't see how an extra 10mm front and back will make that much of a difference. so i don't really see why i would want the pitch unless the stumpy is to fragile.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
adumb said:
what are your opinion on durability as far as frame, fork and swingarms are concerned when you are doing drops or jumps bigger then what the bike is meant for what is the most likely thing to break..... it seems as the pitch is using the old stumpy frame and the stumpy is now updated so the frames won't be any stronger then the other and i don't see how an extra 10mm front and back will make that much of a difference. so i don't really see why i would want the pitch unless the stumpy is to fragile.
when doing larger jumps than what the bike is meant for, many things may go wrong but i'd be most worried about the wheels going out of true, and in some cases the rim bending. After that, i may be worried about the fork if you're using it in a way that its not designed for.

why take the risk?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
louisssss said:
when doing larger jumps than what the bike is meant for, many things may go wrong but i'd be most worried about the wheels going out of true, and in some cases the rim bending. After that, i may be worried about the fork if you're using it in a way that its not designed for.

why take the risk?
i defiantely don't want to take the risk which is why i am asking... the rim thing that you pointed out is a very good point.

here is what the specs are on both of them

stumpy comp= custom dt swiss x420sl, 24mm w/ eyelets 28/32h

pitch= dt swiss 445d 26" double wall disc, pin joint, eyelets 32h

what does the 32 and 28 numbers mean and what does the pin joint refer to... i am having a hard time with the terminology on this stuff so even know which one of these two rims is the stronger one.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
OP...get the Specialized Pitch. Its the best bang for your buck and will handle all your riding needs for the next 3-5 years.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I believe the numbers refer to the number of spokes in the wheel. I myself being bias suggest you check out the Trance X3. 5inches sus. back and front plus if you can find a leftover 2009 at a LBS, I have seen people getting really good prices on them...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jdgang said:
I believe the numbers refer to the number of spokes in the wheel. I myself being bias suggest you check out the Trance X3. 5inches sus. back and front plus if you can find a leftover 2009 at a LBS, I have seen people getting really good prices on them...
thanks for the help on that bike recomendation i checked it out a little bit and it seems as though the pitch is a bit more of a bike for my money. plus my lbs which is literally a five minute bike ride from my house deals alot with specialized so i would kinda like to start to build a relationship with them.

i think the pitch is going to be the ticket... it seems to be a great middle of the mountain bike and once i ride it for two or three years i might have a better idea of which direction my riding is going in weather it be more freeride stuff or more racing type stuff.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
keep in mind the pitch is going to give u a harder time going up hills and lifting ur bike up, you will probably go slower compared to the Sj on flats also. I'm not sure but the pike may also give more pedal bobbing than the SJ's Fox fork. Other than that the pitch does look more durable, the wheelset should is heavier, but should be a little bit more durable. i use them on my rockhopper

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
adumb said:
The Stumpjumper FSR frame trickles to the XC FSR. The Pitch is a budget version of the Enduro.

Although the travel is very similar, the Enduro/Pitch bikes will have more slack head angle. This allows them to be more stable pointed downhill. The same geometry makes it somewhat wandery as you climb.

Some have said the Stumpjumper is a 50-50 bike. 50% climbing 50% downhill whereas the Enduro is a 40/60 bike. 40% climbing and 60% downhill in terms of trail balance.

The Pitch/Enduro is indeed beefier. They not only have stronger frame but parts usually sacrifice weight for some durability.

Now, do you want to lug all that weight uphill if you don't actually need the downhill prowess?

As you ride more and more, you can answer that. The Stumpy is a great all arounder. It is not a fragile bike. But if you find yourself hiking uphill to get at the downhills you love, then you may want to look for a different bike. But if you do ride all over the place in varying terrain with a limited "gnarly" stuff, then the Stumpy will do just fine.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
traffic002 said:
The Stumpjumper FSR frame trickles to the XC FSR. The Pitch is a budget version of the Enduro.

Although the travel is very similar, the Enduro/Pitch bikes will have more slack head angle. This allows them to be more stable pointed downhill. The same geometry makes it somewhat wandery as you climb.

Some have said the Stumpjumper is a 50-50 bike. 50% climbing 50% downhill whereas the Enduro is a 40/60 bike. 40% climbing and 60% downhill in terms of trail balance.

The Pitch/Enduro is indeed beefier. They not only have stronger frame but parts usually sacrifice weight for some durability.

Now, do you want to lug all that weight uphill if you don't actually need the downhill prowess?

As you ride more and more, you can answer that. The Stumpy is a great all arounder. It is not a fragile bike. But if you find yourself hiking uphill to get at the downhills you love, then you may want to look for a different bike. But if you do ride all over the place in varying terrain with a limited "gnarly" stuff, then the Stumpy will do just fine.
so it looks like i am either going to have to walk my bike up the hills or break it on the way down :D ...... i guess walking up is alot cheaper then buying new bikes all the time so the pitch might be the ticket :)

·
Banned
197 Posts
louisssss said:
keep in mind the pitch is going to give u a harder time going up hills and lifting ur bike up, you will probably go slower compared to the Sj on flats also. I'm not sure but the pike may also give more pedal bobbing than the SJ's Fox fork. Other than that the pitch does look more durable, the wheelset should is heavier, but should be a little bit more durable. i use them on my rockhopper
Really? Have you ridden either one on trails???? No. Then STFU

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.