Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently need new tires for my bike. I do mostly XC type trails (all there really is around here) and was lookin at the Panaracer Cinders.

Now i gotta admit, when it comes to tires i really dont know much, espically about the Size.

What do most you guys do to determine what size to run, and should the front and back be the same?

I know i could just try and feel what i like but i was hopin to get some good suggestions here since i really dont have the extra money to burn trying out different sizes :/

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm guessing you probably have something around a 1.9 inch width now, a fairly common xc tire size, and might look between that and 2.1 inch width tires to keep it fairly light and close to what you're used to. I sometimes run a slightly larger tire in front more due to rear tire size limitations in a particular frame than anything else, but it works for a lot of people. Check out Shiggy's mtbtires.com site for some more insights/info...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
For the money and maybe the biggest selling mountain bike tire go with the Panaracer Fire XC Pro. You see lot of bikes with these tires mounted on them. A couple of other tires that are very popular are the Hutchison Python and the Kenda Nevegal. The Python is a fast race oriented tire and the Nevegal is an all around tire but a little pricey. I like riding at least a 2.0 tire anything less is kind of sketchy.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
borregokid said:
For the money and maybe the biggest selling mountain bike tire go with the Panaracer Fire XC Pro. You see lot of bikes with these tires mounted on them. A couple of other tires that are very popular are the Hutchison Python and the Kenda Nevegal. The Python is a fast race oriented tire and the Nevegal is an all around tire but a little pricey. I like riding at least a 2.0 tire anything less is kind of sketchy.
Cool, i was gonna get the Fire XC's then when i went to panaracers website i saw the new Cinders that they were claiming to be the kind of newer incarnation of the Fire XC's

Dan Gerous said:
What are the trails you ride like?
Ehh, mostly hardpack. Though some areas have alot of debri from trees (espically around Pine trees)

So if the frame doesnt have limitations people would usually have the same bigger tire on the front and back?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Tyre size is dependant on your trails and riding skill to some extent. If you have very technical trails w/ lots of roots, rocks and generally rough stuff then a bigger tyre will make life nicer and easier - 1 because a bigger tyre will roll over stuff easier and 2 because it'll give you a bigger footprint.

If you're fairly new to MTBing then maybe consider going a little bigger than the norm to gain some help on the tech stuff. I got some 2.3 & 2.4" tyres and threw them on my bike, went and rode a very tech trail that usually gave me hell and was surprised at how I cleared so much stuff - the bigger tyres rolled over stuff easier and hence gave me some more confidence to try things I might hesitate on before.

Now I like to ride around 1.9-2.1 tyres for XC stuff, thinner if it's for muddy conditions. I right now run a 1.95DTC rear and 2.1Stick-E Nevegal combo. If I stick w/ the NEvegal's as my main "dry" tyre I think I will go for the 2.1 DTC since it has bigger knobs and will last a bit longer than the 1.95 who's knobs are very short/small AND yes they're not cheap, got mine for $33 a piece.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan Gerous said:
What are the trails you ride like?
Ehh, mostly hardpack. Though some areas have alot of debri from trees (espically around Pine trees)

So if the frame doesnt have limitations people would usually have the same bigger tire on the front and back? (i quoted and answered this above, did you deleate your post? :D)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would a larger front tire help to cut a wider groove into the ground so that when (or if) the rear tire follows in its path, then the rear tire does not have to rear cut a new groove in the ground?

Given that the front and rear have the same contact path area, there is a slim chance that when when the rear tire follows in the wake of the front tire groove area it will be perfectly lined up and will not have to "recut" the ground. but with the rear tire being smaller, then the chances are high that the rear tire would not need to recut the ground: therefore this helps with decreasing the rolling resistance of the rear tire (well, along with the lighter weight).

A parallel example to this is for road bikes that have the solid plastic cover over their wheels so that each spoke does not need to cut (or aka "recut" in this case) throught the air.

i guess if the trail is unshifting hardpack, then the having the smaller rear can't rear benifit ffrom not having to "recut" the ground.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Krause said:
I currently need new tires for my bike. I do mostly XC type trails (all there really is around here) and was lookin at the Panaracer Cinders.

Now i gotta admit, when it comes to tires i really dont know much, espically about the Size.

What do most you guys do to determine what size to run, and should the front and back be the same?

I know i could just try and feel what i like but i was hopin to get some good suggestions here since i really dont have the extra money to burn trying out different sizes :/
How much do you weigh?

I think thats almost as important as the trail conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.