Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know this is a mtn bike forum! :D But, its been such a wealth of information, I figured this is a good place to post. My family and I are looking at a xc ski weekend in bend/sunriver. We might downill at bachelor if the conditions are good. Having never been in the winter, I have a few questions.

1. Where are the trails? Is there a good website with trail descriptions and conditions?
2. Are dogs allowed/welcome on the trails?
3. Any suggestions for lodging? I've heard there are rental houses near bachelor, but have been unable to find a good online resource. Ideal lodging would allow dogs and be close to the ski trails.
4. Is there anyplace in bend/sunriver that would rent a sled? The kind you can strap your 1 year old to and pull through the snow via a harness system?

Many thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
755 Posts
There is great cross country skiing around Bend/Sunriver. The weather will decide if the snow is soft or not, but it is still fun to get out! Adventure Maps puts out a Mountain Biking & Cross Country Skiing Map which you can buy at any of the shops in Bend/Sunriver that rent gear or online adventuremaps.net.
Now on to your questions:
1. Along Century Drive there are many sno-parks that have trails. Favorites are Virgina Miessner (groomed trails), Swampy (short loop to shelter) and Dutchman (loop to Todd Lake). Also there is Skyliner Sno-park and Edison Sno-Park which are dog friendly. Edison, easily accessable from Bend & Sunriver is a little hilly and Skyliner is accessable through Bend. There isn't really a website that I know of, but there are tons of trails and huts with wood and little stoves to warm up along the way. (bring panini sandwiches or leftovers in foil and heat them on the stove)
2. Edison & Skyliner allow dogs.
3. Call or check out Central Oregon Visitors Centor. On-line they have a long list of places broken down into hotels, rental houses, B&B's, etc. You can call them as well at 800-800-8334. A friend also has a house in Bend, check out her website at ashleycottage.com.
4. Contact Sunnyside at 541-382-8018 or Webcyclery at 888-759-2453 to ask about them kiddie sleds. If they don't rent them they should steer you in the right direction...

The trails here are plentiful and locals will help send you in the right direction, so if you can't get the info out of town, you will be find once you get here. People go CC skiing during the day as well as at night. Bring headlamps, and enjoy sunset while out on the trail.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed response, Cog Wild! :thumbsup:

I'm feeling kinda foolish now...since I have the adventure map you mentioned and biked several of the trails from the sno-parks this summer. I guess thats what sno-park means!:rolleyes:

I really appreciate the information. The panini suggestion is a good one!

Dumb question, but can I assume there is enough snow to ski? And, is there decent backcountry access from Bend? Most likely, we'll just do light touring with the kiddo. But, if the snow is good, danger is low and access is good, I might have to slip out one morning.

·
Registered
755 Posts
There is more than enough snow, but the quality of it is subject to debate. We normally go twice a week, but haven't lately due to the snow quality. There is nothing new and it can get icy with all the cold weather we have had. I would recommend giving a call to the shops mentioned above and see what they have to say.
ABout backcountry, that too is subject to debate. We have had some freezing rain which has left sheets of ice on Mt. Bachelor. I normally don't start doing backcountry until later in the season, and am wondering if the sheets are going to effect the safety of anyone getting out. There really isn't any new snow on the sheets and under is fluffy white stuff, but you might want to call Pine Mountain Sports and see if they have any advice.
When are you coming to town? I will be gone for three weeks, but if it is late Feb, it would be fun to all go out!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're trying to figure out our dates, but hopefully a weekend in february or march. Thanks for the offer - would love to hook up. I believe you met my wife, on the MRT last fall near the lava flow section. You gave us some tips on finding the hot springs, but unfortunately we were short on time. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.