Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some new shoes. Basically, one shoe to train and race in, they will be used with time pedals. Current shoes are Gaerna G Tektra, they have 2 seasons and are a little beat, will be used for the nasty mud rides. Looked for similar shoes, but hard to get them shipped, found them at Chainreaction and that is where I bought my current ones, but now they won't ship them to the US? Looking to spend around a $100. Anyways what are you guys running.

Looking at;
Sidi Giau Mountain Shoe
Shimano SH-M161G Mountain Shoes

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
in my world the only cycling shoes that exist are Specialized. :)

(they are the lightest and best fitting for me, have tried shimano and sidi)

EDIT: after seeing the comment from Fakie, i have to add that I do own a pair of 510's for riding flats.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I wouldn't buy any shoes without trying them on first but you can find great deals online on 2010 or older Mavic/Shimano shoes. You can find old Shimano shoes everywhere for half of their original cost.You just have to be patient and look around.
Mavic Razors would be a nice beater shoe and the Mavic Fury would be amongst the very best for racing.
Basically the best/popular shoes are Sidi, Shimano, Mavic and Specialized. Northwave and Bontrager will get mentioned by someone but you're going to have to try them on for yourself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
limba said:
I wouldn't buy any shoes without trying them on first but you can find great deals online on 2010 or older Mavic/Shimano shoes.
That being said, go to your local shop, try on a few, and compare what you like online.:thumbsup: I try to support the mom and pop shops, but these days you have to be thrifty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Okie81 said:
That being said, go to your local shop, try on a few, and compare what you like online.:thumbsup: I try to support the mom and pop shops, but these days you have to be thrifty.
I don't have anything against buying online, but trying something at a shop then buying online is the lamest thing ever.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Fakie1999 said:
my main shoes are the carbon sole specialized mtb expert. My other pair are 661 flights.
Speaking of carbon-soled MTB shoes, I have been trying to get my head around the whole rationale for that. I always associated carbon soles with road cycling, but lately have seen a fair few MTB riders on carbon soles too, which I'd never really registered before.

So what's that all about? Same reason as for road biking, I guess, better power transfer and all that? Is it a hindrance for walking/hiking/pushing/carrying? And what is really the difference then between a carbon-soled MTB shoe and a carbon road shoe? I haven't really had a good look at a pair. They don't have a flat sole, right?!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Right. You answered all of your questions correctly.
Stiffer sole means less wasted energy but yes, some people complain about slippage while walking and mtn. shoes have a rugged tread/spikes/toe protection.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a wide and high foot... With Sidi's I had to have the "Mega" model in order to find a good fit.

In addition to the high and wide foot, I have had problems with my knees in any sport that I have done.

The knee problems were partially solved with Specilized Varus wedges in my Sidis, but the fit suffered a bit because the shoes were already a bit tight.

Then I bought Specialized S-works mtb shoes... 2 months later I replaced my road cycling Sidis with Specialized S-workds for road.

I tried Mavics last fall when I was considering a change, but after having tried the Mavics in at the LBS, I ended up just changing the Boa-system on my old shoes, glued the two upper layers that had started to come apart, and plan on riding a third season with them.

If you have narrow feet, go with the Sidis... If you have wide feet or feet feet with high arches, Specialized (or possibly NorthWave - no personal experience) is pretty safe bet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
limba said:
Right. You answered all of your questions correctly.
Stiffer sole means less wasted energy but yes, some people complain about slippage while walking and mtn. shoes have a rugged tread/spikes/toe protection.
OK, gotcha. I actually thought people might just be buying flat road shoes with carbon soles and using them for MTB, but I just looked around and see there are MTB-specific shoes with carbon soles but proper tread and everything.

Worth thinking about. Very expensive though... The day my riding is good enough for that to make a difference I will consider it :D

·
Registered
911 Posts
markowe said:
OK, gotcha. I actually thought people might just be buying flat road shoes with carbon soles and using them for MTB, but I just looked around and see there are MTB-specific shoes with carbon soles but proper tread and everything.

Worth thinking about. Very expensive though... The day my riding is good enough for that to make a difference I will consider it :D
I got mine brand new on ebay for pretty cheap. they were actually being sold as a road shoe. Looking at the pics, you could clearly tell they were mtb shoes. I wasnt complaining because I scored a killer price. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.