Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the finishing stages of ordering parts to put my wife's Yeti AS-R together. It is an XXS size Yeti AS-R full suspension XC race bike. She- about 4'11" and 100 pounds.

We have a weight goal for the bike of about 21 pounds, and so far, I think we're on track.

We live in a place where having her sit bones professionally measured is not an option. We also don't have the ability to have her try out saddles. We quite literally are just going to have to make an educated guess, and see how it works out.

I realize that this is a hopelessly vague question, but I'm hoping that if, for example, 8 out of 10 of you girls hate a particular saddle, and 8 out of 10 of you love another saddle, that it will help to improve our odds of picking something that will work for her.

We've been looking at the Terry Damselfly and the Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow.

Any feedback on these two, and are there any other reasonably lightweight XC race saddles that we should be considering?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rockyuphill said:
Some Playdoh covered in Saran Wrap will give you a good sit bone impression for taking measurements.
I think we're going to try some form of improvised method of obtaining her sit bone measurement. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
Highly personal choice, but I wouldn't even want to ride across the street on those. Always happy with the WTBs myself, and you can get one @ 215-225g. For some reason they've dropped the women's/mens labeling, but they give you all the measurements.

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
I have an old selle italia trans am LDY. LOVE it, but it's a wide saddle and not made any more. On the road bike I've got a Spec. Jett 155 which is OK shape-wise but the stitching/fabric on the top really annoys me after a couple hours. The next saddles I look at will be 100% smooth leather or leather-ish.

Beyond trying to measure with a home-brew device, I might put her on a couple of your saddles and see what she says. That might give you sufficient direction for starters.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtbxplorer said:
Highly personal choice, but I wouldn't even want to ride across the street on those. Always happy with the WTBs myself, and you can get one @ 215-225g. For some reason they've dropped the women's/mens labeling, but they give you all the measurements.
I found the Deva SLT, which is advertised at 240 grams:

Attachments

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
Measuring sitbone width is going to be very important. I guessing that if she's petite, she'll be more comfortable on a narrower saddle like the regular Selle Italia SLR (though personally, I'd try the model with a cutout first)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I always thought that being a small woman, 5'1.5", would mean I have small sit-bones. WRONG. Boy was I shocked after sitting on the butt-o-meter and finding out I need a 154ish saddle- I have wide sit-bones.

No wonder all those mens narrow saddles never felt right...

I had a WTB DEVO Ti for almost a year, it worked out well at first and was well made. However, the more I used it, the less comfy it became (I guess the padding was breaking down or compressing?) So I put the same saddle I love on my road bike on my MTB and just love it there too. It's the Bontrager Inform RL (not the WSD padded one, but the MENS one.) It is light and comfortable, and can be had with hollow TI rails (RXL) to save about 20g more. It comes in 3 sizes, and it has a 90 day unconditional return (it may be a hassle to return it via UPS but it can be done.) I also have been trying out the Specialized Ariel SL on my commuter and so far it's not bad. But I know that with the padding it has, it is only a matter of time before it lose its support and it becomes uncomfortable. That's why I am glad the Bontrager works so well for me, the padding is minimal and it's more about the flex/support of the base that makes that saddle work, not a gob of foam.

In the end, it's not easy to find 'the one' with saddles. But you might just luck out. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.