Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
pain intolerant
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm attending a family reunion this week at a ranch 3 miles from Grand Lake. Maps of the area show lots of trails and roads in the area. A search of posts on MTBR reveals classic DH at Sol Vista (not my thing) and the Wolverine Trail. Wolverine looks great but it's almost entriely above 10,000 feet.

Can anyone report on the snow conditions at Wolverine?
Can anyone recommend other XC rides in the area (preferably within 60 minutes of Grand Lake)?

Since this is technically a family trip and not a mtn biking trip (can you hear my wife in the background?:nono: ) my riding time will be limited so I want to make the best of it!:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
not familiar with grand lake area - sorry.
there's some good xc riding off the backside of sol vista (dry as of last SAT when i rode it).
also plenty in fraser / winter park but not sure of conditions right now.
you might touch base with one of the shops in fraser (icebox or totally wired) for conditions.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Im interested in trails around here too as I will be in Granby in a couple weeks and dont want to mess with Sol Vista. I will most likely be riding alone and just want something fun to take my Superlight out on. directions on trailheads or what loops to take would be appreciated!

·
I'm in the pain locker
24 Posts
I would do flume or tipperary trails before I would do wolverine; flume is near the St. Louis creek campground and tipperary up off County Road 50. All the trails around those are good as well...

·
Registered
240 Posts
as of last weekend, the xc stuff at sol vista was "open, but not really" as quoted by a sol vista employee......basically closed due to being very muddy in spots. would recommend the stuff in the fraser area. it is about 30 minutes from grand lake. talk to the guys at totally wired cyclery. it is in the Alco strip plaza.....across the street from the Safeway on hwy 40.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Tryed to ride the grand lake area last year. Its all OHV trails and vary sandy. Its not mutch fun and you have to share with quads and dirt bikes. I was told after trying them that there just isent any mountain bike trails up there you have to go to winter park.

·
Registered
3 Posts
amoebaman said:
I would do flume or tipperary trails before I would do wolverine; flume is near the St. Louis creek campground and tipperary up off County Road 50. All the trails around those are good as well...
So are you saying that the trails around St. Louis Creek campground are good trails, or that they are dry and ready to ride?

·
pain intolerant
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow Up

I tried riding the Galsonite Trail up to the Wolverine Loop, since it was one of the few trails in the area closed to motorized vehicles. The Galsonite trailheads (there are three) are located up County Road 4 (Forest Service Road 123) It was fine until about 1/2 mile before the start of the Wolverine Loop, where it became a mud/snow fest. It might be ridable in a few weeks, but end of July is a safer bet.

If I could do it over again I would have driven to Fraser.

The folks that posted to this thread are right-on about the Grand Lake area being geared more toward ATVs and motorcycles. I still enjoyed riding some of the many miles of forest roads in the area despite passing the occasional 3-wheeler.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
deeppow said:
Gilsonite/Wolverine is an epic ride, 1 1/2 mile hike-a-bike when done as a loop but worth it. Probably won't be dry until July.
I rode it as a loop from the Supply routes side, up to the ridge, down Wolverine and Gilsonite then back. No hikin necessary, just lots of goodness.

The riding around Grand Lake is anything but bleak.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=546102&highlight=gilsonite
Also check out some singletrack west of the golf course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.