Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming out to visit inlaws in July and see there is an option for me to kill some time by doing an XC race at Toro Park on July 7th. Fun course? Pictures show some chunky rock sections which look nice and gnarly for XC racing.

Trying to decide if bringing my bike (or rather shipping it out which would be cheaper) to do the race would be a nice diversion for me from the inlaws. I'll be staying up in Walnut Creek/Lafayette border and probably hitting Briones (as I always do when I'm out visiting). Do they allow out of state riders to do a NorCal race?

TIA

BB

·
Registered
375 Posts
"Do they allow out of state riders to do a NorCal race?" only if you ask really nice.

its always a little chilly around here.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
the toro course is super fun. its a 2 mile mostly fireroad climb and then a 5 minute rippin singletrack descent. bringing some of your local craft brews especially ipas helps but as long as you dont mention where youre from it shouldnt be a problem.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im just kidding about that last part. visitors are always welcome, not the beer part.
Sounds like fun. I found the website for the series and it says registration is day of race only - so all should be well. I'm looking forward to it.

BB

·
Registered
114 Posts
By all means come out and race, but...

Pictures show some chunky rock sections which look nice and gnarly for XC racing.
that doesn't really sound like the Toro park XC course or the Ft Ord course for that matter. Those courses are fast, flowy, and smooth. A few of the pictures on the CCCX web site are, uhh, borrowed from world cups and such and that might be what you're seeing.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By all means come out and race, but...

that doesn't really sound like the Toro park XC course or the Ft Ord course for that matter. Those courses are fast, flowy, and smooth. A few of the pictures on the CCCX web site are, uhh, borrowed from world cups and such and that might be what you're seeing.
Ah, got it now. I see the Canadian banners in the background of some of those pictures. Odd they chose to "borrow" pictures rather than use their own for their website. I mean with digital cameras, cellphones and all....

I'm looking forward to it. We'll spend the night in Santa Cruz (drive down from Walnut Creek) to see my niece, then hit the race on Saturday. At least that's the carrot my wife is tossing me to come along on this particular family visit.

BB

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what he say's.....:thumbsup:
Nothing wrong with hanging out and riding, but I'll be doing that up in Lafayette at Briones earlier in the week.

Santa Cruz will be hanging out with our niece on Friday and not involve anything with bikes. I wanted to do the XC race so figured the venue would be fun to try out and mix it up with some local racers.

Are you saying the trails are better around Santa Cruz and the Tora Park race course/race is not worth it?

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,420 Posts
santa cruz = makes bikes, salinas = makes salad....redwoods vs sand. ride in sc.
Ouch! And here this whole time we Salinas guys thought we had it pretty good in Toro with shady oak groves, uncrowded trails and all the salads we could eat..

I've never seen a Mountain Bikers Only sign in SC. :thumbsup:

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Ah, got it now. I see the Canadian banners in the background of some of those pictures. Odd they chose to "borrow" pictures rather than use their own for their website. I mean with digital cameras, cellphones and all....

I'm looking forward to it. We'll spend the night in Santa Cruz (drive down from Walnut Creek) to see my niece, then hit the race on Saturday. At least that's the carrot my wife is tossing me to come along on this particular family visit.

BB
I like the world cup / olympic racing pics on the site. Knowing something about pro racing might help lessen your confusion. ;)

·
100% Recycled
47 Posts
Ouch! And here this whole time we Salinas guys thought we had it pretty good in Toro with shady oak groves, uncrowded trails and all the salads we could eat..

I've never seen a Mountain Bikers Only sign in SC. :thumbsup:
I concur... :thumbsup: Salad and the Freedom of the Pipe

Cheers
Park

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the world cup / olympic racing pics on the site. Knowing something about pro racing might help lessen your confusion. ;)[/QUOTE

Feel better now?

As previously mentioned, guilty as charged of quickly glancing at the photos and not seeing the Cyclephotos.co.uk (the obvious dead giveaway) logo in the lower right corner.

Just seems odd that a website is using others images to advertise their own racing series. Did CCCX pay for permission to use the photos? Hmmmm.....

Perhaps I am wrong about that and the CCCX website has indeed paid the photographer Balint Hamvas for his photos to use on their website. If so, a big :thumbsup: for that.

Anyway, I look forward to lining up with y'all come July. NoBalance - please do say hello to me...;)

BB

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Although...

Im just kidding about that last part. visitors are always welcome, not the beer part.
... It's tradition around here to always buy everybody some good beer. :D If you don't, we only serve vegan food. :eek:

The Toro Park event sounds awesome. CCCX always puts on great low-key events. Yeah, I'm with you on the stolen misleading photos. It's obvious that most of those pics are not from Toro Park or Fort Ord (were they hold other races). I may have to join you.

Hey, I'm just over the hill in Oakland. I have a 29er hardtail with H-Bars you're welcome to borrow. It's a Large.. slightly larger than your average large with a 24.75" eTT.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... It's tradition around here to always buy everybody some good beer. :D If you don't, we only serve vegan food. :eek:

The Toro Park event sounds awesome. CCCX always puts on great low-key events. Yeah, I'm with you on the stolen misleading photos. It's obvious that most of those pics are not from Toro Park or Fort Ord (were they hold other races). I may have to join you.

Hey, I'm just over the hill in Oakland. I have a 29er hardtail with H-Bars you're welcome to borrow. It's a Large.. slightly larger than your average large with a 24.75" eTT.
Join the race with me! What could be better than hammering up and down coastal hills for 1:30 - 1:50 out in the July hot sun? :D

Hmmmm.....you're HT. You're tempting me as I'm trying to figure out how best to get the bike out there on this trip. Last time I took my own bike out was in 2005 when I was singing an opera and around for a month or more - so I just shipped it there and back (much cheaper than what American Airlines wants). Most trips, I've just borrowed or rented a bike for a few days when I'm there. This time, if a race is involved, I might ship again.

BB

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Oh....

Join the race with me! What could be better than hammering up and down coastal hills for 1:30 - 1:50 out in the July hot sun? :D

Hmmmm.....you're HT. You're tempting me as I'm trying to figure out how best to get the bike out there on this trip. Last time I took my own bike out was in 2005 when I was singing an opera and around for a month or more - so I just shipped it there and back (much cheaper than what American Airlines wants). Most trips, I've just borrowed or rented a bike for a few days when I'm there. This time, if a race is involved, I might ship again.

BB
Speaking of food (or the other side of that vegan coin), check out Bo's BBQ on Mt. Diablo Blvd in Lafayette. Kinda spendy, but the brisket is way kick ass.

...as long as you're nearby....

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of food (or the other side of that vegan coin), check out Bo's BBQ on Mt. Diablo Blvd in Lafayette. Kinda spendy, but the brisket is way kick ass.

...as long as you're nearby....
Will do since we're staying right on the border of W.Creek and Lafayette.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts