Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am currently running a Mavic 717 disc/XT hubs wheelset on my race bike which weigh in at 2050g on my scales. For the upcoming season, I plan to use my current wheelset for training and get some lighter wheels for the races. A lot of guys at the races seem to run Mavic Crossmax SL's. They are nice wheels but fairly pricey! I was also looking at a Mavic 717/Hope Pro II/DT revolution build, which weigh in at just over 1600g - just a bit more than the Crossmaxes but much cheaper.

My question is, would I notice much difference in terms of acceleration/ride between the Crossmax SL's and 717/Hope Pro II/DT rev wheelsets? I understand that in a wheelset, weight loss at the rim is most important, so are the Crossmax SL's rims much lighter than a Mavic 717?

Any comments/suggestions appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
I really don't think that the rims....

of the max SL's are that much lighter than the 717's. The 717's are the lightest aftermarket rim that Mavic produces. The difference between the Pro II set and the SL's is only 80g. Split that between two wheels and it's pretty insignificant. I doubt you could feel the difference between 1600g and 1520g. Personally I wouldn't go with the SL's simply because of the propietary nature of everything about the wheels. Hubs, bearings, spokes, free hub, rims are all propietary and cannot be replaced with regular off the shelf components. Everything, if not on hand at the LBS (and I don't know of many that have the stuff on hand), MUST be ordered from Mavic, even the spokes! Now the item that most often fails on a wheel are the spokes. It would make me feel much better knowing that if I broke a spoke just before a race I could run to the LBS and be pretty much assured that the wheel could be fixed without having to wait 2 to 4 weeks for them to come in from Mavic. With that being said, the Mavic SL's are a good light wheel and they seem to give good service if reasonably maintained. But the older Mavic rear hubs had a tendancy to eat the free hub. It seems that they've taken care of this problem since. But you still hear of people having problems with them now and then. And you still hear of long waits for parts to repair the wheels, spokes etc.

I own a set of Hope XC hubs and can state whole heartedly that they are the finest hubs for the money that I have EVER owned. Much better bang for the buck than King, DT Swiss, etc. Fall off a rock simple to maintain, VERY durable, of excellent quality, and above all excellent coustomer service. While the Xmax SL's are very bling and stylish, I don't think you can get a better hub for the money than Hope. And I work at a bike shop so I can get King or DT hubs for very close to what you'd pay retail for the Hopes. But I still
chose to run the Hope hubs and I would even at full retail. So that says something. Get the idea I'm a Hope hub fan!?!?:D

Just my opinion, and not very unbiased I'm affraid. But I'd rather feel confident in my components than worry about them. Just my 2 cents. My vote goes for the Hope/717 wheel.:thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Grass fed or Grain?
326 Posts
smithy said:
Thanks for the imformative reply. I've made my mind up and will be going for the ProII/717 build. Almost half the price as well. Cheers :)
Mind if i ask you how much for the Pro II/717 and where? I too am interested a hope wheelset.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.