Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying either the maxxis crossmark or the larsen tt tires. Which tires should i get? or does anyone have other suggestions? I'm looking for tires right now because the tires i have (http://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-C1040N-Tire-1-95-Black/dp/B000C1275I) have absolutely horrible cornering. I live in wisconsin and all the trails i ride and race on are mostly hardpack, gravel, pine needles, grass, the occasional rockgarden and hardly any mud but do come across it when racing. Any suggestions on what tires to ride?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The ADvantage is a bit better in the cornering and braking department. I like the ADvantage front, CrossMark rear.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I have been happy with the cornering abilities of the Crossmark. It has met or exceeded my expectations in hardpack, loose/sandy, and is even better than I expected when it is a little wet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pro4tundra said:
I've read a couple reviews of the crossmark and said it doesn't have the best cornering traction. What are you experiencing withe the crossmarks?
I love them and don't have any problems with cornering. It's a fast rolling tire and I use it for both training and racing, except when it's really muddy, then I switch to the Medusa.

You might also like the Maxxis Ignitor. That is still a fast rolling tire and excellent on hardpack, but with more knobs on the edges for better grip on the corners. The 2.1 seems quite narrow so you could probably go up to the next size and it would still feel like a 2.1

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
OnYourLeft said:
You might also like the Maxxis Ignitor. That is still a fast rolling tire and excellent on hardpack, but with more knobs on the edges for better grip on the corners. The 2.1 seems quite narrow so you could probably go up to the next size and it would still feel like a 2.1
I don't like the Ignitor very much. The 2.1 is way too skinny, and 2.35 is very heavy.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've found the crossmarks to be pretty sketchy in the corners. I recently changed to race king 2.2 ss which are much grippier. There's a huge difference in tire size, the crossmark "2.1"s are really 1.9 tires, while then 2.2 race kings are 2.16 or so. The tires weigh about the same but I had to use more stan's goo to get the RKs to seal.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Ansible said:
I've found the crossmarks to be pretty sketchy in the corners. I recently changed to race king 2.2 ss which are much grippier. There's a huge difference in tire size, the crossmark "2.1"s are really 1.9 tires, while then 2.2 race kings are 2.16 or so. The tires weigh about the same but I had to use more stan's goo to get the RKs to seal.
mtbtires.com lists the crossmark as having a tread width of 2.05" for the 2.1 size.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hmmm, I did measure the casing and not the knobs. The casing is 1.9, but with the knobs I could see it being 2.05 or so. I can't measure that now since the tire's off the bike. I've attached some pics. As you can see the race king measured at pretty much exactly 2.1. After it had been on the wheel for a while, it expanded to 2.16, which is what it measures at now.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the input guys. The next question i have is i ride on the pavement about 50% of the time so what compound for the xmark should i get? is the 70 compound still going to give me enough traction and bite for racing?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've been running the crossmark exception series here in illinois and in the wors treadfest race for a few years now and they are great with traction in the corners if you find the right air pressure for your weight. I weight 152 lbs fully geared and have run them with tubes at 26psi front and 28psi rear with no problems, although I did baby powder up the inside of the tires and outside of the tubes before I assembled them. I'm now trying them tubeless at 24 front and 26 rear also with no problems, except they don't hold air very long even with extra sealant. When I first got them and ran them over 30 psi they sucked on the corners. Now to hold air better I'm trying the standard crossmark 2.1's and I'll put them on this week to try. I'll probably have them on at the treadfest this year.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've been running a crossmark rear (29er) for the entire race season and have been very happy with it so far. I can't comment on how it would be for a front tire, but I just swapped an ignitor out on my rigid ss for a crossmark and was blown away by the fact that it seemed as grippy as the ignitor on the rear, but quite a bit faster rolling. For a front tire I'd look for something with a bit more knobs, but that's just my preference.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
those race kings look like a good tire. i have been running fasttracks all year and really like them alot in the described conditions. the Sworks ones are very light and i have only sliced one of them (on a training ride).

btw... sorry, i am a huge fan of specialized.. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.