Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 819s with 28-hole 240s. I'm not sure about the spokes. They weigh about 1700g. I'd like to get a lighter set-up. Ideally, I'd like to get a 28-hole rim to build up on the 240s that's light (under 1500g) and strong enough for everyday XC riding...I'm pretty easy on wheels but not having much luck finding anything.

Should I just sell this set and buy something else like Stan's or something from BWW? Or is there a good rim to build on the 240s? I'm on a budget, so the fancy stuff ain't going to work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you have the time and inclination, DT 4.2 disc rims are available in 28h, and they should work great for XC stuff. They offer tubeless compatability using DT's (or other's) products. You could reuse your current hubs, if you think they're still doing well, and rebuild a new set yourself. You'll definitely need new spokes, however, given that spoke lengths for 819s as compared to 4.2s are considerably shorter. You might be able to sell your rims used, but it might be tough, don't know. You could hang on to them and build a second set for a back up or to sell.

Here's a great resource:

http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
mavic 717's are under 400 grams per rim. thats almost 200 grams off right there. sun eq23's are 410 grams and strong. eq21's are 350 grams but i have no idea about strength.

both 717's and eq23's are fine for daily use. i ride a lot harder than typical xc and my eq23 has held up as well as my mavic 719.

·
WTF
292 Posts
I have a set of Dirty Flea hubs, only slightly heavier than 240's, in 32h count. with double butted competition spokes and olympics rims. a hair over 1500.

If you use Olympic rims in 28h, with a good spoke you could be ~1460

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.