Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out as to where I can find info on shifter/cogset compatability?I don`t mind running friction mode but it would be nice to get my cog spaceing correct.
Jeff

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
That'll be hard to do without some donor suntour cassettes. Shimano used all 3.0mm spacing for 8 speed, and a mix of 3.1 and 3.3mm for 7 speed. Suntour ran a mix of 3.1 and 2.8mm for 7 speed, and I can't remember right now for 8 but I think it was all 2.9mm. I just run all my suntour thumbies in the light-action friction mode anyways. You run them on all your bikes and its not hard to remember how far to shift to find the next gear.

·
slow
7,749 Posts
8 speed

I am running 8 speed XC Pro thumbies (in 8 speed indexed mode) on my Paramount. I regularly swap between a road and off road wheelset. One has an 8 speed XTR cassette and the other has an 8 speed SACHS freewheel. Both work pretty well, depending on how many miles are on the chain at any given time. Occasionally will require a slight overshift to hit a gear.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
oh i forgot about sachs... sachs used 3.1mm spacing on both their 7 speed and 8 speed cogsets...

·
clueless
436 Posts
... sheldon brown had something of interest to read about sprocket spacing.

and here you will find the most extensive paper about the "to-be-compatible-or-not-to-be" problems of suntour and/or shimano 7/8 speed setups in any combinations...

the problem, it's written in german and it takes some time to translate it. so everyone feels free to be invited to translate this (very good) paper to our friends ;)

ciao
flo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.