Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I just bought a XC hardtail MTB and I don't know what pedal will I use. My friend told me to use a clipless but the problem is, Im just new in the sports. I prefer to use a platform first. Can you give me a suggestion what platform pedal will I use for my XC hardtail MTB. Thanks in advance.

·
RAKC
7,599 Posts
There is a ton of options but primary thing, get ones that have replaceable pins. Depending on ur budget, what kind of trails u ride, how big of guy you r all matter in what kind you will work best. How much yr willing to spend matters too. Figure spending minimum $50 for quality ones, unless u catch them on sale. Xpedo, spank, others make great light weight pedals if ur not a big guy. They also make pedals that aren't speced as xc, listed as dowhill (dh)/freeride(Fr) but us bigger guys go that route.

I myself just got a pair of crank brothers 5050 pedals, and imo are amazing for $50. Came highly recommended since im close to 270lbs. Not the lightest, but pretty damn good for a dh rated pedal.

As for clipless, learning on platforms is truly best so u learn proper technique. Clipless create bad/lazy habits because technique matters less. Once u have learned flats decently give clipless a go, because at that point (and u are used to handling your bike since sometimes u can't unclip in time to bail) it becomes a personal preference and u could see gains and like them. The gain is u can lift up the leg that's coming back up without coming off the pedals, that leg itself doesn't help power on its own pulling up, but it takes away the weight of that leg for the one that pushing down and applying power. Makes being more efficient much easier.

Flip side to that, I may some day try clipless but doubt it, found no desire after riding good quality/design platforms this weekend. 5050s with softer sole skater shoes I almost felt clipped in,feet never moved even on a pedal strike. Plus i have weak ankles, broke right one twice, so a crash with bike attached is likely a hospital trip. I have practiced technique every time I go out as even the gain of clipless can be accomplished but i know ill never fully do it. Can however on smooth straights and do well on straight climbs. Won't ever match clipless there but don't care lol.

Hope that info helps,just don't rule out clipless once u learn and are comfortable, but ur doing it smart and learning the sport on flats first.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tigris99, the local bike shop told me to use Shimano Saint, when I told them that I'm looking for a 50/50 crank brothers. Now I am confused what to buy for a XC hardtail bike. I am 180lbs and 5'8 height.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use Shimano Saints... Fantastic pedals and great value for money.

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
These are reasonable without the sharp pins that will tear up trailrunners and require harder rubber bottomed shoes like 5.10 Impacts.
Pedals Platform OR8 UL8 MTB Slimline 9 16 MTB BMX | eBay
But what is important is to spend a little time on technique so you can stick to just about any platform pedals. Low heels standing for bumps pushes the pedal into your foot instead of bouncing you off.

That technique will let you stick like glue to cheap Walmart flats with cast pins.
Watch his vid on cornering also.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Get the saint. Bullet proof.
I certainly can't disagree with the "bullet proof" part seeing how they are really a DH pedal. All of Shimano's Saint product is aimed at this segment...I would just suggest they are an overkill and quite heavy for a true XC bike...I used them for a couple months, but recently swapped for Race Face Aeffect. I am very pleased and they are rebuildable :thumbsup: in my opinion, they are a better XC pedal choice, albeit a bit pricey...

Attachments

·
RAKC
7,599 Posts
Didn't think to list saints, bomb proof pedal. I should have as they were the other top of my list to get. I went my route being price and recommendations for my wider feet.

Op at ur weight u can get light weight platforms if ur sticking to xc level riding. Decent/good ones will be excellent and last u a long time. Plus the lighter weight being new to mtbing is a plus. Dont go cheap on pedals, no need to go crazy but don't expect $20-30 pedals to be worth a crap for very long.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much guys for your help... I'll try to compare CB 50/50, Race face and the other pedal that is posted. Hope to get a pedal that fits me and my XC MTB. Thanks again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've found that it's almost more important to get a good shoe, than to worry too much about the pedals. Good/light pedals are great, but a grippy shoe like a 510 really makes a huge difference no matter what pedal you have.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i rock the bmx style odyssey jcpc's. they go great with my 510 freeriders

i just stumbled across them in my LBS and they were a very good price. I ve been very happy with them. I bought another pair of more traditional xc pedals that were on sale last year. ill use those one day when the plastic odysseys are properly beat up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts