Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who bought, built, ride, blah blah a Nomad in a more cross country set-up, I have a couple of questions and could use your help.

I understand that many, possibly most people use their Nomad for very agressive riding and will profess that the Nomad was built for that intended purpose. That is fine, good on ya mate!

However, for those of you who are wired to fight the "man" or the establishment and chose simply to use it for all day XC rides...I need your thoughts.

I switched to a more XC frindly rear shock, and have heard that a less travel fork (140mm) causes the bike to have a greater chance of pedal smack (due to lower BB heaight).

If I am not riding through difficult rock gardens (I live in Indiana) or jumping off of or down major drops (again folks, Indiana) then I probably will not experience major pedal smack. Right????

Yes I probably should have gotten a BLT, but I didn't and I am not going to try and trade frames and fork now. I do love my Nomad!

Do any of you ride with a 140mm fork? That is still 5.5 inches of travel and kinda close...to what I have now (Van 36) :D

If I have a fork with less travel, it will/could also lower the head tube thus increasing the HT angle making it more XC like....right?

Ok, I simply need some guidance here.

How would you make a Nomad more XC friendly (w/o buying a BLT! Geesh! :D )

For those of you who are planning on taking back my 'I bleong to the Nomad crowd" card please hold on. I only am curious, not yet sold on the idea! :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help!

TNC, since you are "our" expert, what are your thoughts?

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
I ride aggressive XC.

I've got my Nomad set up pretty light. I ride aggressive XC with small 1 to 2 foot drop occasionaly. Mines weighing in at 29lbs! Not the lightest but pretty darn light for an XL!;)

I'm runnin a Duc32 with 150mm. The design of the fork is such that it has a short axle to crown length which translates into a steeper head angle. About a 1 degree change. The fork has all the usable travel and weighs only 3.5 lbs! That's 2lbs lighter than the Vanilla 36! It's not designed for the same abuse as the Fox but does still take a lickin. Steering is great and impact loads that would flex any normal single crown fork don't exhist!

Personally I'd love to convert a Cannondale Lefty 140 fork to fit. They're supper stiff, steer great, translate impact into vertical motion with the needle bearings better, and weight around 4lbs. My problem is that "Project 321" currently doesn't make a crown conversion long enough to fit my XL head tube length. Arrrggg!!!:madman:

I love my bike for XC. I set it soft and let it suck up everything. It climbs like a monkey up a bannana tree and descends like a champ! I do get pedal smack though. Probably due more to my soft settings. I run 1/3 of my travel in sag and have my compression and bottom out settings at their lowest. This works for me since I'm a light guy and don't try to split rocks with my bike.

My last thoughts on the Duc32. It's way easy to tune and service on your own and it just looks freekin sweet on the Nomad!:D

Best-O-Luck!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love that bike! Wow!

Plus 29 pounds for a Nomad is pretty light!

I also never thougth of the SLR for the saddle. I suppose there is plenty of cush for it to be comfy!

I am looking at the Minute Platinum 140 with IT. I would make a great climbing fork, as we do have hills.

Also lighter then the Van 36

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Manitou IT fork.

I'm not sure the price difference between the Manitou and the Maverick. I know that with the Mav you'll need a new hub along with the fork. All said and done, figure just under a grand unless you scoop a deal on Ebay. This is probably it's biggest downfall.

As far as adjustable travel. The Duc32 does have a two inch reduction knob on top of the crown which is easily reached for climbing. I personally don't use it at all. I find my soft settings ride me in the 100mm pocket in general anyways. This allows 50mm of neg travel to stay in contact with the ground for better steering control. Sometimes too much control!

I've recently switched from the SLR saddle to one of those saddles with the really fat tip on the front. I found the SLR plenty comfy except while climbing. I do find myself way on the front of the saddle when climbing long loose gravel and the SLR just pokes me in the wrong way! ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can take the travel away from the Nomad and it will not function properly the VPP has a sweet spot that it finds when being peddled, it has what some have compared to a S in its travel. Yes you can put a smaller shock on the bike but unless its a stable platform type of shock you are really going to lose the benefits, and it will also slack you head tub angle unless you run a shorter fork. I have or had the Classic Blur, Blur LT, Nomad thru a V10 and what you are trying to accomplish will be done best with the Blur LT. I have a LT set up with a Fox 36 and it is a great climber and will do some incredible downhill stuff. If you are truly interested in going that rout smaller bike I have a Blur LT that was my wife's bike that I would be willing to work a trade on if not good luck…….

here is a pick of my latest build

Attachments

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Thanks!

It's no where near that clean anymore!:D

I love the ride and it's the best lookin bike I've owned to date!
There's some pretty nice carbon bikes coming out these days, but I still don't trust them for the application. Besides, hydroforming aluminum into shapes like on the Nomad looks way cool with all the atributes of aluminum we've come to know and love. Price savings too.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
I 2nd that emotion!

Mudd said:
Aggro XC ROCKS!
Yeah! What Mudd said!

...And just to keep this thread alive, I'm running what I'd consider an "Aggressive XC" or perhaps "All Mountain" or maybe "Light Freeride" Nomad. There are too many damn catagories to this sport now. :rolleyes:

My intention with my Nomad was a literal "do anything" bike. "Do anything" = "Aggressive XC" IMHO. I wanted something I could ride all day. You know, the big epics; climb all morning and drop all afternoon! :thumbsup:

On the days when I want to gear up for hucking or whatever I can just toss on the flats, throw on the armor and jack the 66SL up to 170 and let things rip.

Here's mine when it was first built up. Hovering around 30lbs. Some details have changed but the song remains the same...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.