Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an XC rider who rides anything from hardpack to mud to rock. I have searched and searched for types of tires to use.

I currently have Bontrager jones XR tires on my GF (they came stock) and they pack full of mud and they don't even shed on pavement.

I would like to find a fairly fast rolling tire because I commute, but I would much rather have something that performs in wet and slippery conditions.

I have looked at he fire XC pros and the Dart and smoke combo but I don't know what is best. I live in Toronto Canada and the conditions here are endless.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
You want something with a fairly open tread design.

Check continental's lineup - I run Flows and have been very happy with the rolling resistance and performance in pretty much all conditions.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
IRC Mythos XC fronts both front and rear will do a good job of shedding mud and hook up pretty well. Notos on the front if more front traction needed.
G

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Hutchinson Spiders shed mud superbly. Several of the more "scientific" tests have found them to roll surprisingly well (better than Ignitors), probably due to the large volume, light weight, and airlight rubber compound.

PS, i did not find the Jones XR to be great either, especially not in mud. It's not too bad for dry conditions, but not the best.

PPS, do a search in the Eastern Canada forum for local opinions. There are lots of us in the Toronto/Hamilton/Niagara area.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
I like my Kenda Nevegals; get them in Stick-E if you want something that won't last very long (like the Michelins that have been mentioned already) but will hold the terrain VERY well. I use the DTC (ie: harder compound) Nevegals on my bike and I like them; simple tire, relatively cheap online and readily available everywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked into the Kenda Nevegals and everyone says they wear too easily, I just want something that is going to last me a while (4-6 months at least) and I am sick of slipping out on climbs.

My Bontrager tires are probably some of the worst tires I have or will ever ride and I am fairly new.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Michelin Man said:
These tires were the ones that were used to help Adam Craig win his US XC Championship in an EXTREMELY muddy Mount Snow last year. They have a nice open tread pattern that sheds mud very well and is also fast rolling on the dry hard pack stuff.
Awesome mud tire. Also check out the Conti Mountain Kings, I run them in winter months on my 29er. Great mud tire.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
Kertykert said:
I looked into the Kenda Nevegals and everyone says they wear too easily, I just want something that is going to last me a while (4-6 months at least) and I am sick of slipping out on climbs.

My Bontrager tires are probably some of the worst tires I have or will ever ride and I am fairly new.
The Stick-E Nevegals WILL wear quick, the DTCs will not. If it helps, I have somewhere in the range of 1,500km on my Nevegals this year (i'd say 75% of the time on road) and they still look to be essentially new..

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Being in Montreal, I know the conditions you ride in Toronto. We've got the same thing over here and it's a pain to find the right mud tire. The best one I've found is the Maxxis Swampthing in 2.1. It's a pretty heavy tire but worth it considering the grip. Unfortunatlely they've stopped production in XC sizes and now I'm looking for a replacement. I literally hate the Nevegal as it can't climb at all. My next best bet will be on the Schwalbe Nobby Nic as it gets good reviews and the pattern looks decent. I can't really offer any other advice apart from looking on eBay UK if you're willing to pay the exhorbitant price of shipping Swampthings from there. I think it runs at around 70$ for a pair. They will last a couple of seasons though so it might be worth it!

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
For mud - try the WTB VelociRaptors - I had Jones XR's and they are worthless in soggy, muddy terrain but recently switched to the WTB's. With the VR's - TONS of grip in the mud!! A lot of people don't like this tire for the front (they have have front and rear specific tread) but I rode a couple days on some technical muddy trails with them this past weekend and had no issues with them. Gripped great and gave me way more confidence than the Jones. They just rip through the mud - great on climbs too. The rear is like a buzzsaw - loads of traction. Cornering grip is awesome with the nice chunky shoulder blocks.

The VR's are not the fastest rolling tires by any stretch, but for grip and traction they rock. They come in 2.1 but they are a 'wide' 2.1 which is nice. I got the folding comps for like 34 each which was great. The website says the folding comps are 'regular rubber' but mine say 'DNA rubber compound' right on the sidewall, so I think the website is a typo and it's the same compound the race (aramid bead) version. But if you'll be commuting - I don't know if these will suit you. I'd say the Velociraptors are trail specific - but in that environment (which is what I them for) they are a blast!

cheers

·
Registered
151 Posts
shedding

My Nevegals cling to mud like crazy - hate them.

I was looking for a really light weight tire to shed mud and the WTB raijin's are REALLY light and do shed mud really well. I'm sure there are others with better mud traction (which seems to be most people's focus here), but for weight and shedding, these do the trick.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Michelin Man said:
These tires were the ones that were used to help Adam Craig win his US XC Championship in an EXTREMELY muddy Mount Snow last year. They have a nice open tread pattern that sheds mud very well and is also fast rolling on the dry hard pack stuff.
Those don't seem to have many edge knobs. Do they still grip well in corners and off camber?

·
Registered
78 Posts
fsrxc said:
Those don't seem to have many edge knobs. Do they still grip well in corners and off camber?
Honestly, that is the response from 99% of people, but it is just a visual thing. I live in NH and ride in all types of terrain with the most of it being wet, rocky and rooty and that is my tire of choice. I use it on the front specifically because of the knobs on it and how well they do bite in when you lay the bike over. From time to time, I change out the rear tire for something a little faster rolling if I know we will be hitting a lot of dry hard pack, but the AT stays on the front 100% of the time. On my 29er, that tread is on the front and rear 100% of the time. It will take a ride or so to "figure it out" and how it handles and reacts, but after that.....golden.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Michelin Man said:
Honestly, that is the response from 99% of people, but it is just a visual thing. I live in NH and ride in all types of terrain with the most of it being wet, rocky and rooty and that is my tire of choice. I use it on the front specifically because of the knobs on it and how well they do bite in when you lay the bike over. From time to time, I change out the rear tire for something a little faster rolling if I know we will be hitting a lot of dry hard pack, but the AT stays on the front 100% of the time. On my 29er, that tread is on the front and rear 100% of the time. It will take a ride or so to "figure it out" and how it handles and reacts, but after that.....golden.
hmm, i don't think i have ever really seen that tire before. it looks like a pretty sweet tread pattern. aggressive, but tightly spaced knobs in the middle for faster rolling. i think I'd like it as a front tire.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Michelin Man said:
Just so you know, I have a new XC AT mounted on the rear of my XC/Trail bike now, just haven't ridden it yet. It's good to hear they work well on the front too, thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.