Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m trying to find a helmet that is XC light and ventilated, but has a bit more side and rear protection than the typical road helmets worn for XC race. Ie a lightweight XC race helmet which just extends the material a bit further rather than being built more solid overall like trail helmets are.

There’s a lot of talk in that we’ve moved on from the days when there was no difference between road and mtb helmets but I feel like its gone too far such that there’s nothing that combines the light and fully ventilated road principle with just a bit more coverage like the xc helmets used to – everything mtb specific for big protection with the weight and limited ventilation that goes with it. It seems XC racers are still wearing road helmets.

Anyone able to recommend some good “best of both worlds” options?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How light are you looking for? Tons of good ones in the 350g range. Poc Octal is only about 275g, which is what my road helmet weighs.
the octal is a road helmet, you're probably talking about the octal X which is said to be for MTB though the only difference is "an extended shell covering more of the helmet liner compared to the Octal"

that is on my list though

i don't have any set targets as such, though i think 350g would be max.
ventilation is probably more significant than weight within reason

·
Registered
17,525 Posts
the octal is a road helmet, you're probably talking about the octal X which is said to be for MTB though the only difference is "an extended shell covering more of the helmet liner compared to the Octal"

Yeah, Octal x is what I was referring to. Seems like it would check all of your boxes, expensive though. Giro Fixture is almost as light and only about $50, just comes in one size though. Venting looks good but I have no experience with it.

@350 grams choices are many, fit is paramount imo. I have a scott something or other mips that's great and ventilation is almost too good at times. 350-ish grams though.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts

Smith Forefront 2 MIPS is 380 grams. Well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've been running the Trek Rally MIPS. 380g. I like it. I tend to prefer road helmets for light weight, low profile. I run a fairly low bar height, so I generally do not like peaks, but the Trek is pretty adjustable, so it's working for me when I want a little more protection. It doesn't feel hot, but I can tell that it's not going to be as cool as my road helmet on those hotter days.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Giro hex has great ventilation. Having a visor is awesome as far as I'm concerned. When heading down moving the visor up one position funnels air straight into the front vents. Mmmm I like it after a long climb!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I've been running the Trek Rally MIPS. 380g. I like it. I tend to prefer road helmets for light weight, low profile. I run a fairly low bar height, so I generally do not like peaks, but the Trek is pretty adjustable, so it's working for me when I want a little more protection. It doesn't feel hot, but I can tell that it's not going to be as cool as my road helmet on those hotter days.
I have the lythos and its hot vs my specialized road helmet.

I wear it fatbiking in the winter haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Bonty Rally is very well ventilated. Much more so than the Lithos.

The Specialized Ambush is even more ventilated, but on my head at least, it sits up kind of high, if that makes sense.
i currently have a spec ambush. the weight is ok, more than i'd like but acceptable, however i find it notably hotter than road helmets, hence my question. although it seems to have lots of big holes, it doesn't create good airflow for me at least.

i don't quite understand why having more back/side coverage seems to be inextricably linked with having less ventilation on the top/front... perhaps it is really the exhaust out the back that makes the difference

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.