Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so after numerous falls and seperated shoulders, concussions and skin ripping off from wearing lycra cashes I have decided to start racing downhill. My wife bought me a giant glory for christmas and I am going to hit the MSC circuit this year racing downhill instead of xc. Well not instead of xc but not so much uphill riding.

My question is what class should I start out at. I hate peole who sandbag but also don't want to go staright into expert as I know I will be way too slow. I was racing expert xc and pro/open in our local series and found that i was sucking on the downhills from lack on confidence. I had two three really back crashes that put me inhospital and lost me races previously. I guess my plan is to put on some armourand try to go balls out agin on a bike a little less twitchy than a xc racae machine.

Is there any shame in starting out as a novice downhiller. This is my first bike with more than 5 inches of travel

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
start in a lower bracket til you get some expirience DHing... there is no shame in that. the only way it would be shameful is if you won your blew everyone away your first time and kept racing in that bracket. racing DH is a lot different than just DHing so you might find you are a novice.

BTW the glory is an awesome fuhking bike.. im a bit jealous.

·
Registered
360 Posts
3 years ago I did the same thing. I do both in MSC. I think Angel Fire is the 1st race and would go beginner there. After 3 events I bought a Kona Stab Supreme to replace my single crown, triple ring bike. Moved myself up to sport and found I had more fun there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.