Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some new wheels for my mountain bike I love xc rideing but I like doing jumps and drops. Is there a wheel that is light like a xc but strong enough to do some light freeriding?

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
I assume.

jesse96 said:
I want some new wheels for my mountain bike I love xc rideing but I like doing jumps and drops. Is there a wheel that is light like a xc but strong enough to do some light freeriding?
I think there are a few, I mean people ride that way. If you're talking about lite enough for XC and strong enough to take most any drop, well that's what they've been pushing the Azonic outlaws as. I don't know exactly how much they way, but I pressume they'd be considered too heavy by most XC riders though.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Mavic XM819s. They're stiff and strong so you can go with lighter weight spokes. Combined with alloy nipples and Dt-Swiss Supercomp spokes, you can get a fairly light, but very strong wheelset.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dulyebr said:
Mavic XM819s. They're stiff and strong so you can go with lighter weight spokes. Combined with alloy nipples and Dt-Swiss Supercomp spokes, you can get a fairly light, but very strong wheelset.
Throw in some Hope Bulbs and you'll be sorted (light and strong, but not as much $ as CK). I'd be tempted to look at DT Swiss EX 5.1d rims too - they're designed for that usage, but a touch heavier than XM819s without the UST extras, I think.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a friend that is getting a Heckler built up for a trail bike with Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheels. From what I've read, they are pretty much an all mountain wheel and are way lighter than my SingleTrack rims on XT hubs.

·
OldTeen
202 Posts
jesse96 said:
Deciding strength (for drops) and light weight (for XC) involves a trade-off. You should be able to buy/build a good solid wheel at around 2000g (or a bit less) for a wheelset meeting your needs, Sun Ringle makes some rims which would fit the bill (e.g RhinoLyte's). Beware of some cheap spokes which are showing up lately. Stay with a well-known brand- 14 ga DT Swiss is never a bad choice. Alloy vs Brass nipples is a weight vs durability choice. Build quality of the wheel is critical. The best components poorly assembled can TACO on your first ride.

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
Sun Singletrack with XT hubs should fit the bill. They aren't the lightest but I don't find them offensively heavy. My Trek Fuel SLR climbs like a goat on steriods and I have Bontrager Corvair rims which are much heavier than the Singletrack/XT combo. I do plan on having my Singletracks looked at since I purchased them from Beyondbikes and after dealing with them I DO NOT trust them one bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.