Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you missed the Duryea DH in 2003 you will have another chance in Sept. 18&19 2004. It is going to be bigger and badder.

On April 25, we Reading Racing are sponsoring a xc?/ freeride race.
This will not be a DH bike or light XC bike event.
Course will have jumps, rocks,drops, bridges and many more surprizes. It will be fast and tech single track it will test everybody. The biggest drop will be around 4ft and there is not alot of climbing.
3/4 mile loop
2 laps
time trial format
11:00 am start
I will post more info on registration in next few days.

This will be a cool fun event.

Who's in

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
I'm In!

Sounds great!

I'm a bit tired of grass sidewalk xc courses where the "Roadie In The Woods" on the lightest bike rules.

I've been thinking of something like this myself for sometime.

Keep us posted.

Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miker J said:
Sounds great!

I'm a bit tired of grass sidewalk xc courses where the "Roadie In The Woods" on the lightest bike rules.

I've been thinking of something like this myself for sometime.

Keep us posted.

Mike
You know what it is all about. This will go down and will put some fresh air into the scene.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is the future of mountain biking. XC racing has become lame. They race on smooth, non technical hardpacked courses. Roadies crossed over and did too well. It's time to make them ride the tougher terrain, or go back to road.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
world cup

sounds like fun. used to race xc but i hated the fact that the courses wernt much of a challange. nothing tecnical or super hard. its cool that ppl r realising that all styles of biking need some kind of event. n as for roadies, ive seen some with mad freeriding skills. but hey not all of them do.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Try a cross post...

Think about doing a cross post over on the "Pennsylvania" and "Riding and Training" boards.

Should something like this "take off" it would be the best thing to come along to mountian biking in a long time, IMO. Racing is a great way to advocate the sport and form cohesiveness within the biking community, and to have a great time. The problem is many folks are now riding "trail" bikes that allow us to tackle more challenging trails. Trail bikes are built to withstand the abuse of more aggressive riding but can't be raced competetively on the average xc-grass sidewalk course. So, if you want to xc race competetively you are forced to build a second xc bike. Then you've got to spend hours in the saddle on your frail, just waiting to break xc bike, riding the buffed "rails to trails" to gain peak areobic - blah- blah - anearobic - blah - blah - thresholds - blah - blah - lung capacity - blah - VO2 - blah - max - blah - power "gel" - blah -blah - blah. Come on! Power "GEL"! What's that! "Gel" is something my wife buys at some tacky girlie Bath or Blah store....

Hold on.... I digress.

Many people are interested mastering technical prowess on challenging trails and not simply spending all day "spinning" to create leg-lung machine to win the next xc race.

Seems odd that while one of, if not THE, fastest growing segment of mountain bike sales segment is going toward burlier "trailbikes", few promoters are setting up courses where these bike can be competetively raced.

Anyway. I hope this thing "flies".

Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Miker J said:
Think about doing a cross post over on the "Pennsylvania" and "Riding and Training" boards.

Should something like this "take off" it would be the best thing to come along to mountian biking in a long time, IMO. Racing is a great way to advocate the sport and form cohesiveness within the biking community, and to have a great time. The problem is many folks are now riding "trail" bikes that allow us to tackle more challenging trails. Trail bikes are built to withstand the abuse of more aggressive riding but can't be raced competetively on the average xc-grass sidewalk course. So, if you want to xc race competetively you are forced to build a second xc bike. Then you've got to spend hours in the saddle on your frail, just waiting to break xc bike, riding the buffed "rails to trails" to gain peak areobic - blah- blah - anearobic - blah - blah - thresholds - blah - blah - lung capacity - blah - VO2 - blah - max - blah - power "gel" - blah -blah - blah. Come on! Power "GEL"! What's that! "Gel" is something my wife buys at some tacky girlie Bath or Blah store....

Hold on.... I digress.

Many people are interested mastering technical prowess on challenging trails and not simply spending all day "spinning" to create leg-lung machine to win the next xc race.

Seems odd that while one of, if not THE, fastest growing segment of mountain bike sales segment is going toward burlier "trailbikes", few promoters are setting up courses where these bike can be competetively raced.

Anyway. I hope this thing "flies".

Mike
The Race is on!! Reading Racing is going to sponsor it and handle all of the course setup.
This will be a cool event.
2 laps--
3/4mile loop
filled with lots of fun stuff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts