Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How benificial is it to ride Cross country as a way to train for downhilling or downhill racing.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Ummmmm superior fitness, improved sprinting ability, improved endurance.

As far as dh specific goes... if you can rail down a hill on a 4 inch bike or a HT you generally do it because you force yourself to find faster and smoother lines as well as riding smoother. Transfer that to a full blown dh bike and you can go even faster since you have more squish, improved line choosing ability, and improved riding ability.

You'll see most pro dh racers train with a combo of a lot of xc and a lot of motocross.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
his dudeness said:
Ummmmm superior fitness, improved sprinting ability, improved endurance.

As far as dh specific goes... if you can rail down a hill on a 4 inch bike or a HT you generally do it because you force yourself to find faster and smoother lines as well as riding smoother. Transfer that to a full blown dh bike and you can go even faster since you have more squish, improved line choosing ability, and improved riding ability.
Well put.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
XC is just overall good cardio......it helps to do but DH is more sprints.....so you need to do squats and basic core traing....on the bike you need to sprint for 2 minutes then off for 5 then sprint a minute then off for five then sprint for 2 minutes repeat for a 1/2 hour and you will be stronger then a xc ride

·
Professional Troll
2,716 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
XC is just overall good cardio......it helps to do but DH is more sprints.....so you need to do squats and basic core traing....on the bike you need to sprint for 2 minutes then off for 5 then sprint a minute then off for five then sprint for 2 minutes repeat for a 1/2 hour and you will be stronger then a xc ride
Maybe true, but for 99% of people, riding as much xc as they can will be a huge improvement to their DH riding.

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
I just started training on a hardtail SS for DH and I am already seeing the positive results! By making me pedal harder on the uphills and keeping my speed up on the downhills to get up the next uphill has really helped me ride faster. It has also upped my hammering strength as when I pedal the SS uphill it's mostly out of the saddle pedaling which equals more lower body strength which equals more DH power and speed!!! I know I can't ride DH everyday so when I go out for the SS training ride I hammer it like crazy. When I'm done I'm spent like a full day of DHing in only an hour of SSing. Plus its just super fun to blow by spando commando's on fully carbon xc rigs on my budget SS in baggies and my skate lid, both uphill and down...BRAAAP!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
latedropbob said:
Plus its just super fun to blow by spando commando's on fully carbon xc rigs on my budget SS in baggies and my skate lid, both uphill and down...BRAAAP!
Wait till you pass them on your dh bike... On the climbs. THAT'S a good feeling.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
his dudeness said:
Wait till you pass them on your dh bike... On the climbs. THAT'S a good feeling.
yeah I did that at Pacifica on my M-3 Greg dared me

·
Professional Troll
2,716 Posts
his dudeness said:
Ha ha, I remember once in my life I passed two guys on 3inch xc bikes on a climb while i had my 42lb c-dale gemini with a boxxer team up front. I was laughing for days after that. That was probably the peak of my riding career, or at least my xc one.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Any time on a MTB will be good for ya. :thumbsup:
DJ, Freeriding, XC, it all helps your bike handling.

·
gutentight
108 Posts
Yeah, basically the more hours you spend on two wheels, the better bike handler you will become. Sure you won't be doing anything really crazy on your average xc ride, but you will be training yourself subconsciously to react more quickly and effectively to washing out, going over bumps, and saving it when you are about to crash. There is also the added benefit of getting more comfortable on clipless pedals, which are helpful for a strong finish in many (but not all!) downhill races. Unless you live next to a resort or have people willing to shuttle with you every day, xc riding is a great way to increase your ride time. You might even learn to enjoy suffering up climbs!

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
schneidie said:
Any time on a MTB will be good for ya. :thumbsup:
Good point, if you call yourself a mountain biker and don't like getting out to ride single track on any type of bike, get the EF out.:D

And good technical XC climbs do involve sprinting. Do that on a single speed and its even more significant. I race DH and plan to start riding a SS this spring (although at first I imagine it will involve some walking too).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Riding XC for me has helped my DH, but I needed to adapt my XC riding a bit to make it resemble DH racing/riding. Why? Well, it makes the riding styles closer and conditions not only your body but your mind towards DH. I came from an XC background and found myself falling back to my XC mode in races as I had mentally conditioned myself over the years to 'hold something in reserve" essentially. Last year I decided to break this mental cycle, so I did the following to mix it up a bit:

-Stop at the top of all climbs briefly, then sprint the downhills (many of my friends use their moto timers on these sections). It also helps that there are not many people hiking where I ride, so I rarely run into any trail conflicts, literally.

- Remember to stand up as much as possible. You are almost always standing on a DH run, so I have tried to keep that in mind. Even in climbs, I try to stand for sections. This has helped to condition me both mentally and physically. From the latter perspective, it works a different set of muscles and therefore helps you to have more stamina in that position.

-Alternately, I might use my climbs to recuperate from the downhill sprints. This will of course depend on where you live/what terrain you ride on. I am lucky as my closest trails are all on the top of an escarpment - not a lot of climbing once you're up top.

-Having an active 2 year old waiting for me at home, my riding time became limited, maybe 2-3 rides a week for 1-2 hours at a pop. This worked out well as it forced me to ride fast, to not waste much time and to stick with the sprints as much as possible. It kept my workouts intense without being drawn out. Again, like DH.

In the end, riding fast (in sections) helped "recondition" me to be faster on my DH bike. These things worked well specifically for me last season, but who knows for you.

·
What?
80 Posts
latedropbob said:
I just started training on a hardtail SS for DH and I am already seeing the positive results! By making me pedal harder on the uphills and keeping my speed up on the downhills to get up the next uphill has really helped me ride faster. It has also upped my hammering strength as when I pedal the SS uphill it's mostly out of the saddle pedaling which equals more lower body strength which equals more DH power and speed!!! I know I can't ride DH everyday so when I go out for the SS training ride I hammer it like crazy. When I'm done I'm spent like a full day of DHing in only an hour of SSing. Plus its just super fun to blow by spando commando's on fully carbon xc rigs on my budget SS in baggies and my skate lid, both uphill and down...BRAAAP!
What he said. I train on a 35lb P1 single speed. Helps tons!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts