Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm conducting a research paper for college and I would like to utilize one of my favorite passion's to conduct this report as it will be done to the fullest being that my interest is in it 110%.

My question is this, Why do you ride?

My hypothesis is that everyone who does is passionate about the sport, whether it's XC, DH, DJ, FR, AM, or road. I will be creating a poll to create my independent and dependant variables, and once I have enough information I'll post my report for those of you who participated and are interested.

But for now, I'm keeping it basic, as I'm just proposing the idea.

So post up, and let me know Why you Ride! Is my hypothesis correct, are you passionate?

This out to be an interesting project, so hopefully I can get a good amount of participants. Forward the link on and stay tuned :thumbsup:

·
In exile
542 Posts
Riding gives me a reason to let me buy cool parts. :thumbsup:

OK - the real thing is, I like to be outside. I ride a little road, a little urban, and mostly trail. I like to ride a squishy bike, as it lets me do more things. I won't get all cheesy and say that it makes me more free, but it lets me get out and have fun. If it's a bad day, you can just stop. If it's a great day, you can ride forever. You can go with friends, or roll by yourself. Cycling gives you so many variables that you are rarely ever making the wrong choice. If it ever gets to where people have to ride, instead of driving, I am way ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sonyisdope said:
I ride because it's fun! I like XC riding because that's all there is in Michigan. I love all bikes though. I do own a road bike, but mountain biking is my passion. You should make a survey. . .

http://www.kwiz.biz/simplesurveys/create-survey.php

Try that out.
Oh I will, It's going to be pretty indepth with dependent and independant variables and such. But for now I just have to get a general idea to figure out what data I want to pull for the report. Keep an eye out for another post over the next few weeks with more criteria involved, and a poll and such. I'm doing this on three major MTB sites as you all are my subjects for this study. This should be fun :thumbsup: and when I finalize the report I'll post up as it's my final so it will hopefully be done good enough for a research proposal.

·
EDR
10,422 Posts
I mtb for two reasons. 1) I love the fun and challenges of trails/singletrack and 2) I love the solitude of the outdoors (desert or forest). I do not necessarily love to ride in general. What I mean is that I do not have a road bike and have absolutely no desire to rode ride. I hate being on the streets. For me that is not 'getting away from it all', at least not away enough for me. Being on the trails, out in the middle of the desert with nothing but wild critters and amazing panoramic views is what does it for me.

Let me add that I really do love to 'ride'. But it has to be challanging, rewarding and have a sense of adventure. That's what draws me to mtb'ing and why urban riding holds zero interest for me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I guess this would have been helpful to put in my own $.02 first to kick it off, but just the same, here it is.

Why I ride?

I used to live out west and started riding in what I called the off season as my true love was Snowboarding. Having grown up in Montana for the most part riding is plural to me for snowboarding and biking, but I'll just keep to the report I'm doing which is based off of cycling. Summer was the down season for me, as snowboarding was my #1 passion, and I was in a sense training to go pro with my bro's.(Some of whom made it) Anyhow, I used to ride to train, to stay in shape for snowboarding. I used to be able to make epic 30 mile treks into the pristine virgin mountains of the Gallatin national forest in Montana. It was a time to just get in the saddle and crank it out, get back in far enough to feel at peace with nature, and myself, to see the wild animals, herds of elk by mystic lake on an early morning in the fog. As time went on I got better at riding, so I began to aggressively attack the downhill portion of the ride. I tried to teach myself technique, balance, efficiency, and eventually began to take the sketchier, steeper lines with more speed. It became a challenge with myself and the trail, and that's what I loved about it. Of course getting away from it all is more so needed now in my late twenties with dealing with life's stress that is brought on by work, schooling, relationships, and challenges such as illness, injuries, family issues, and so forth. I still use riding for some of these extents but I'm now in a part of the country to where there's really no "escaping" , or at least what I was used to. After all, when you head out of town in the saddle in Montana, you really take on the sense that at any moment something could go wrong to where you'd be faced with a challenge to make it back. Getting lost on a late ride in the middle of the mountains can bring upon fear of being stuck out there overnight with the idea in your head that grizzly bears are around, freak snow storms could arrive(Seen snow in every month living there) wolf packs have been re-introduced, etc. It becomes a now-a-day survival mentality that you adapt, and makes you feel ALIVE! Having run into a few bears, rattle snakes, and a cougar, it's a pretty humbling experience. However, being that I live in Ohio now... there's really not too much to fret over, as most of the trail systems are just giant loops, and the only real predator in the woods you have to worry about is Uncle jimmy with his missing tooth smile looking to take your bike to sell for next weeks booze & food supply. So I've turned to the other part that I loved about riding, and that is challenging the skill, and breaking past mental barriers of fear. I enjoy this type of riding almost equally to epic escapades, but my heart lays in the wilderness of Montana, where I hope to once again, somewhere down the road return to.

As for now, I enjoy shreddin' the trail on my big bike. We build trails that challenge our skill, and it's a great feeling to commit to something mentally and successfully follow through. I like to get out there and hang with the fella's, cheer each other on, and frankly just tear it up. XC I think will come into play again here shortly but simply for the fact of cranking out the miles for the ole' health reasons. I have to say that in a sense riding a big bike goes against my true love for nature, but it’s a blast, and has become the main portion of my riding these days.

One day, I'll be out west again, and rest assure I'll be boasting about it amongst my fellow e-brothers, but until then, ride on! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
why i ride.....basically my whole point in life is to have a good time. i feel like while i am alive i should have the best time possible....so even if that sounds cliche or what it is true. i have tried many things that are suppose to be fun or were fun at one point to me, but when i tried riding a bike in general for the first time it was a new level of fun. once i started actually getting into riding freeride and DH about a year or so ago it became my passion from the start. it took over my life....i always think about it and want to do it. i got into a few different types of riding over the past year from FR to DH and now DJ and 4X as well. the first time i rode a DH trail with a friend who had been riding for awhile got me hooked in good. so basically......riding is the most fun thing i have ever done. it is now all i want to do with a few other things on the side. it is my passion and is the largest part of my life.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I ride for fun and exercise and I consider myself passionate about the sport. BUT there are plenty of people who ride sometimes and are not so "passionate" BUT you won't find them here. people who spend time on a website talking about riding are gonna be the passionate set. You will need to look elsewhere for the not so passionate riders. Believe me they are out there. You may have a hard time finding them using the internet cause they are not gonna be on a mtn biking forum but they are out there scattered all over the place.

·
another bozo on the bus
1,244 Posts
riding has become a part of who i am over the years. i realized this only after moving to nyc and not being able to get away from the concrete jungle. i have never been a social butterfly and riding has given me a kind of release that nothing has been able to replace. i got my first bike at age 6 and rode almost everyday. in my troubled teens, it gave me a place to vent and racing gave me a positive social envirnment away from drugs and alcohol. in my 20s i turned pro and riding gave me purpose in life. i worked as a messenger to fund my trips around the east coast for over 6 years. after numerous injuries and becoming disenchanted with the politics of the race scene, i once again began to ride as i wanted to ride. for me, it can be a form of meditation, and outlet of aggression or just a way to hangout with my friends. i have put in my 2 weeks at work in new york and am relocating to the west coast in september to once again focus cycling. the stories of trips and people i have met while travelling are something money can never replace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.