Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out a new bike, one more on the opposite end of the spectrum of my 34lb enduro bike.

Ive got a lot of local trails that are pretty flat or short punchy climbs and downhills, and COULD be fun on something that pedals and holds speed really well. I also want to try a couple XC and endurance races.

traditional XC bikes don’t do anything for me, unless I really got into racing I can’t see owning one. So I’m looking for something with a little more progressive geometry, and maybe a tad more travel. If I could have something in the 23-27lb range I’d be happy.

Obvious options are the following, smuggler, trail pistol, alchemy arctos st. I’ve ridden a following and a trail pistol and either one could be built a little lighter and be a fast little bike.
But I could see there being a little too much overlap with my enduro bike.

i wish there were more options in the 100-110 travel range slack and with a 120mm fork. A friend told me starling can build a 110mm murmur,
Which is actually super appealing, I’ve always loved steel hardtails over carbon. other than the wait time and probably would be hard to keep the weight much under 28lbs or so, not a deal killer but if I’m building something to be good at climbing it’s be nice to keep it light.

any other options I’m not thinking of?

·
Formerly of Kent
13,080 Posts
The bikes you listed would be hot garbage on an XC course. Transitions pedal like a wet mattress.

Intense Sniper, Scott Spark in their 120mm versions. SB100, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,787 Posts
The bikes you listed would be hot garbage on an XC course. Transitions pedal like a wet mattress.
That's funny.

Intense Sniper, Scott Spark in their 120mm versions. SB100, too.
If you include the SB100 we need to include nearly everything with a Fox 34 in front. Kona Hei Hei, Salsa Spearfish, Orbea, Scott, Intense for sure, the list goes on. I feel like most manufacturers have a bike that falls into this category.

I know a couple guys that ride a Smuggler at local XC races. It's not a super efficient pedaling platform but they have no aspirations of making the podium either. Plus that bike makes up for it's lack of efficiency in fun factor when you point it down hill.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,080 Posts
That's funny.

If you include the SB100 we need to include nearly everything with a Fox 34 in front. Kona Hei Hei, Salsa Spearfish, Orbea, Scott, Intense for sure, the list goes on. I feel like most manufacturers have a bike that falls into this category.

I know a couple guys that ride a Smuggler at local XC races. It's not a super efficient pedaling platform but they have no aspirations of making the podium either. Plus that bike makes up for it's lack of efficiency in fun factor when you point it down hill.
While the SB100 is heavy for what it is, it pedals extremely well. Superbly efficient bike. And, it can be built up sub-25lbs with a dropper with ease.

If one has any inclination at all towards speed both up and down, Transition is just about the last company I'd look at. I'd rather ride plenty of 150mm+ bikes than a Smuggler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smuggler was probably my last choice. I thought the following and trail pistol pedaled extremely well, but yeah ideally I’d have something just a tiny bit more pedaling/climbing oriented. SB100 is sweet but haven’t been a huge fan of other yetis I’ve ridden.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I've got a Following set up XC'ish. I mean it's not a rocket ship going uphill...but it does pedal pretty well for what it can do downhill. I have two sets of wheels. One set of Roval Control Carbon with 2.25 Rocket Rons and another set of LB Recons with 2.35 Nobby Nic/Rock Razor. With the Controls...it weighs 25.6lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
KTM Scarp for XC as well. One guy has his full suspension Scarp down to 20.0 lb.
Only thing is rear travel is very low (90mm). It's a true race bike for sure.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Not vunda plastic, but the Banshee Phantom is what you're looking for, 105mm rear, 120/130mm front, 67.5/68 HTA, decent reach for each size, pedals extremely well and feels as confident and fun as you want going down.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
SB100 is über-efficient and might most fit what you're looking for IMO. I was thinking it was a little more "trail" but it gets more overwhelmed in rougher terrain than Ripley and other bikes that are 120r/130f that I've ridden. The geometry is great for XC and flatter terrain, not too steep STA but pretty slack HTA. I thought I would use it for more aggro stuff but now am thinking I'll use it for marathon races cuz it pedals better than my 429SL and the geo is also better and the weight is about the same.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Trying to figure out a new bike, one more on the opposite end of the spectrum of my 34lb enduro bike.

Ive got a lot of local trails that are pretty flat or short punchy climbs and downhills, and COULD be fun on something that pedals and holds speed really well. I also want to try a couple XC and endurance races.

traditional XC bikes don't do anything for me, unless I really got into racing I can't see owning one. So I'm looking for something with a little more progressive geometry, and maybe a tad more travel. If I could have something in the 23-27lb range I'd be happy.

Which is actually super appealing, I've always loved steel hardtails over carbon. other than the wait time and probably would be hard to keep the weight much under 28lbs or so, not a deal killer but if I'm building something to be good at climbing it's be nice to keep it light.

any other options I'm not thinking of?
If you love steel hardtails and want something more aggressive, why not build a steel hardtail? Could be in the that weight I would think. Should be fun and pedal well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Same boat here, planning on getting a modern XC bike, with a 120 fork in the upcoming months:

On the short list:
SC Blur (no "trail" mode)
Intense Sniper
Orbea Oiz TR (demong this weekend)
BMC Fourstroke (too XC?)
Scott Spark (might not be the most progressive geometry?)

All of these are a bit less burly as the ones you mentioned though

I already excluded Yeti and Specialized for my own, stupid reasons.

It's going to be a process though. I intend to demo a few of them, and build it on the cheap when I see good deals. XC/Marathon isn't my main riding, so I don't need it right away.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.