Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a new frame. Currently I ride XC / Trail and light slow DH ! XC rides up to 30miles, so day rides. I currently have a meta 55 and a VPFree and I'm trying to find a frame that with the minimum of tweaking I can swap between XC and Light DH duties.
I have a couple of Wheelsets that are XC and DH orientated.

I have a Fox TALAS 36 RC2 fork that will go onto the new bike.

The Intense Tracer, Nomad both catch my eye but are they too light for light DH and too heavy for day rides ?

thanks for advice and tips.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
some AM bikes can be modified for DH use and be reasonably light for XC use.

but if i'm going downhill, i want a dedicated rig. and since i only go a few times a year, i rent one.

·
mathlete
131 Posts
If your looking at the Nomad, I'd suggest you look at the Giant Reign as well. The Giant does not the bling factor the Nomad does but in my opinion is just as capable up and down. I've got an '06 Reign myself. I absolutely LOVE this bike. Yes, it is a bit heavier than my XC bike but I find that I ride the Reign all the time. I can pedal it all day and not feel like the bike is slowing me down. I can through myself off of things or "try" to jump (crash) and the bike is fine. Downhills are a blast on it as well.

A good friend and riding buddy of mine has a Reign as well with a fox 36. I believe his bike weighs in at 30lbs or maybe just under. That thing is solid even with a xc-ish set of wheels and other lightweight carbon goodies.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Have a look at this one...

here. From another rider I know that kept his older Tracer going for years: the new one is a bit flexy; I stress this is 2nd hand opinion, not fact. he's on an Ibis Mojo now (another alternative) and swears by it.

Not an easy choice, good luck, Jim

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
No.

simonm said:
Ive read a lot about that, expensive though isn't it.
For example. the Tracer you mentioned originally, with an RP23, sells for $2250 USD @ Jensen USA. The Knolly with the same shock sells for $2,350 USD. That's a difference of $70 USD, or about €50.2961. A Nomad is $2050 USD, not much less.

None of the bikes you're looking at are much less, because they are top quality. So IMHO the "expensive" remark applies to the genre and bracket you're shopping in, not the specific bike.

Jim

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good point Jim, I just looked up the UK prices and the Knolly are actually very comeptative. How about the Delirium ? with a DHX air ? and my 36s on it

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Knolly Endorphin or Delerium-T. I've got an Endorphin and V-Tach, so I don't need the DT which splits the difference. Yet to run across any trail, terrain, or feature I wouldn't ride on the Endorphin - but if I'm soley riding DH or freeride stuff I've got the big guy (V-Tach).

My Endorphin is setup to do it all. With 6" in the front, courtesy of the Magura Wotan, its point and shoot when the goin' gets tough!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
too heavy

Having had a VTach myself at 47lbs, the DT is a hefty FR bike. The Endorphin can be as light as 26 lbs, but also can be built up for burlier duty, and will take it, by doing just as you propose..differing wheel sets etc.

Of all the rides out there, the Endorphin may be the least flexy, along with perhaps the Ibis Mojo, making it a good contender for all around riding, but very superior in the descents.

If you're interested in pursuing, I can put you in touch with the locals here in Vancouver, and it might be a help to know that as it's a Canadian firm, duties and such may be less than that of an American bike. I stress this is a guess, but since the Queen still technically reigns here, there should be some tax breaks.

Cheers, Jim, colonial upstart.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
In my case, I use my "heavy" 2006 RFX for such duty. It is my XC bike, my only bike. Our rides usually come in at 20mi+ in XC, with little technical stuff, but when I need it, it's there. Additionally, there is significant cumulative climbing. The 2008 RFX, which is being blown out (or no longer available) is more of the same, but much lighter.

You can also try a Liteville 901. Wow, light. LaPierre (if you're in the EU) also makes some light stuff.

In my opinion, it's easier to get a heavier built bike to go XC than it is to lean on the XC side of things to go DH and FR. No bike will ever be a truly do it all. The rider has to adapt. In going down to XC, the rider has to adapt. In going up from XC to DH, the hardware can't adapt due to travel and strength limitations, as well as geo. You're going to have to pick and build up your strength and fitness.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The Endorphin is selling like hotcakes in North Vancouver, one of the local shops is doing quite a volume in them, and they are getting good feedback from riders. The same shop has Rocky and Kona and the Endorphin is eclipsing Slayer SXC sales because the Endorphin is stiffer and about the same weight. The Endorphin seems to be very popular with the people who ride Mt.Fromme since there's no shuttle on that mountain, you have to ride up if you want to ride down.

JimC. said:
Having had a VTach myself at 47lbs, the DT is a hefty FR bike. The Endorphin can be as light as 26 lbs, but also can be built up for burlier duty, and will take it, by doing just as you propose..differing wheel sets etc.

Of all the rides out there, the Endorphin may be the least flexy, along with perhaps the Ibis Mojo, making it a good contender for all around riding, but very superior in the descents..

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
the Delirium frame is

QUOTE=simonm]The Delirium appears to be quite a heavy bike, are people really using if for Cross country rides ? or just a "bit" of uphill riding ?[/QUOTE]

about 9.5 lbs, both it and the VTach are designed for climbing. BUT, the climbing they are designed for is steeper fire roads so one can descend some pretty rough Norshore trails. An "XC" Delirium would be around 35lbs minimum, heavier if it has DH grade wheel set.

So You could do it, but IMHO a long trail ride would leave you staggering around in a bonk/delirium at trail head afterwards.

Then again, I'm not totally sure of your usage plans.

The Knolly site has a video of and interview with Noel (in German) that might help. Another video on Knollybikes.com shows riders in Vancouver doing what Knolly bikes are made to do...ride the rough stuff and last.

Hope this helps.

Jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.