Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Let me preface this with I'm a NE rider coming in at ~230pnds. I do mostly XC riding which my friends who ride in other parts of the country compare to more of an AM style. So with that said I need to find a fork for a Yeti 575 I'm building. I think I have it narrowed down to a Fox Vanilla RLC or a Float R with 140mm of travel. The two forks seem very different so I'm curious what peoples experience are with the two forks relative to the features and maintance required to keep them going.

My current bike, an old hardtail, has a basic 100mm travel fork with no features. So I'm really not sure what I need and what I don't.

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Why not a Pike? It seems perfect, along with a 20mm, which at your weight is recommended.

It's a moderate step up in terms of either a new hub, wheel, or a conversion, but it's very recommended if you weigh that much and are going to be pushing it. You won't be sorry and it'll save you from wanting to buy a stiffer fork later and selling the Fox.

As far as Fox goes, it's not terrible, but my experience with my own and another is the seals aren't that great. They are designed to weep oil and you have to periodically replenish it during an on the fork seal cleaning. I think it's sub-optimal. I recommend Enduros with proper oil seals. RS seems to do better with this aspect and the small oil bath.

You might like the Fox's chassis in the parking lot and on tame trails, but the moment you go over roots and rocks in the NE (I'm a former NE rider myself) in the twisties, you will regret it and feel the twisting and inaccuracy. More than anything else, it causes one to lose nerve because it just doesn't feel right. If you're insistent on the Fox, don't scrimp on the compression adjust, especially with diverse terrain and trips abroad. One problem I had was during rides the terrain would radically change enough to sometimes need a click here and there.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me provide a bit more info. I'm trying to keep a budget and thus far I have about $550 set aside for a fork and headset. I can get those two forks in my budget with a King headset... The TALAS looks like a great fork, just really expensive.

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
at you weight...you should really try to go for a through axle fork if possible...

I loved the Pike on my old 575 (I weigh about 220lbs)

an alternative could be the 2008 Manitou Minutes that JensonUSA is clearing out (if there are any 140mm left), that could allow you to get a through axle fork and still within you budget (even considering a new through axle hub/wheel)

·
Registered
101 Posts
A little backgorund. I have been building and modifying my own MX suspension since the eighties and have been into mountain biking since 1991. I have been reading these forums for a couple of years now. If I listen to ANY opinions it would be Jerk, Crisillo, and Clutchman83. They are a few of the folks who consistently do not serve up bs. That being said go with the through axel on the RS. Ther is no sense in buying something and then wishing for something else. I will say this, however, if you have to compromise go with a cane creek headset. I have yet to go through one. The fork is the second most important part of building a bike.:cool: \

Happy Riding!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I would not early adopt 15mm based on restrictions of brands (for now) of forks, along with hubs, should they not be convertible. Most are doing so, but agreed with Clutchman, the 15mm simply doesn't make sense on most any grounds, unless they're looking to entice XC riders into getting new LT bikes and forks using the perceived notion in this case that fewer mm's= fewer grams.

RS now has the Maxle Lite on some models, disproving the weight savings theory of the 15mm proponents, along with more strength.

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
It offers no weight advantage and is flexier than 20mm in a nutshell.

I know it is flexier than 20mm, but it is certainly stiffer than a QR, which the OP initially suggested. I'm just saying that if you really like other aspects of the Fox offerings, a 15mm thru axle is a reasonable option to give better steering and strength than a standard QR. That being said, I am keen to see if the 2010 Pike gets the same treatment (power bulges, post-mount brakes, etc) as the 09 Revelation. The Maxle is a very sweet system, and 20mm does give more cross-compatibility (and stiffness). Steve

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
At the OP's weight, and riding region, which I happen to know very well, a 15 will be a no-go. The rocks and roots are too aggressive, and on turns for that matter. 15 will work, but it won't be the best solution available for the weight and the difficulty of the trails combined.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Stevo the Devo said:
I'm just saying that if you really like other aspects of the Fox offerings, a 15mm thru axle is a reasonable option to give better steering and strength than a standard QR.
Yes, for an average rider weight, but as JC points out, our OP is a little heavier than the average rider. The difference between a 9mm QR, 15mm, and 20mm are really going to be amplified for a rider at 220 lbs and a 20mm is going to provide the best trail feel.

Stevo the Devo said:
That being said, I am keen to see if the 2010 Pike gets the same treatment (power bulges, post-mount brakes, etc) as the 09 Revelation. The Maxle is a very sweet system, and 20mm does give more cross-compatibility (and stiffness). Steve
As I understand it the 09 Revelation is the exact same chassis as previous and current years Pike, meaning the lowers, stanchions, and crown are all the same as a Pike's. The difference I believe is primarily in the maxle setup, Rev's get a Maxle light and Pikes get a regular Maxle and possibly the steerer tubes. I'm not sure about post mount vs. IS mount, too lazy to look it up right now. I also think that the whole power bulge thing is just SRAM speak for reducing the lowers diameter around the upper bushings to save weight. I'm sure if the Revelation gets it the Pike will too.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could be mistaken, but I kind of feel like the entire maxle concept is still early adopt in my type of riding. I have never really had a problem with skewers... The fox vanilla with a maxle is also alot more expensive...

Does anyone like or even run a vanilla or a float? A lot of the folks I ride with have these forks and it works well for them. I have been reading about the pike and although it looks strong I think I would rather stick on the Fox path for the time being. I know how the fox fork will age with a big rider - and continue to be repaired, and I just don't have that info on Rock Shox...

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
agabriel said:
I could be mistaken, but I kind of feel like the entire maxle concept is still early adopt in my type of riding. I have never really had a problem with skewers... The fox vanilla with a maxle is also alot more expensive...

Does anyone like or even run a vanilla or a float? A lot of the folks I ride with have these forks and it works well for them. I have been reading about the pike and although it looks strong I think I would rather stick on the Fox path for the time being. I know how the fox fork will age with a big rider - and continue to be repaired, and I just don't have that info on Rock Shox...
Rock Shox forks are every bit as durable and high quality as a Fox. The Pike is one of the most proven forks on the market today.

Just a note, the Fox forks don't use a Maxle, they use a 15mm thru axle, a Maxle is a type of thru axle that is patented by Rock Shox. They use them for their 20mm thru axle forks and you can find them on 12mm thru axles for the rear wheel on certain types of frames. The fox thru axle is a different design than a Maxle, and many like myself believe it is an inferior standard. Just because the fork has a Fox sticker on it doesn't make it that great, don't be afraid to try a different brand.

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
Rock Shox forks are every bit as durable and high quality as a Fox. The Pike is one of the most proven forks on the market today...

Just because the fork has a Fox sticker on it doesn't make it that great, don't be afraid to try a different brand.
Take this to heart :thumbsup:

I have a number of friends who've ditched Fox (and others) over the past few years in favor of Rock Shox and Manitou. Case in point; I've been a die-hard Marzocchi fan for many years. They're a company that has been in the suspension business since suspension became a business (100 years?). Their QC has deteriorated dramatically over the past few years with the switch to over-seas manufacturing and its put a major dent in their reputation. I just purchased my first non-Marzocchi fork ever this month, a 2009 Manitou Minute Elite Absolute 140mm w/20mm thru-axle. The fit and finish is excellent and if the short first ride is any indication, then performance will be excellent as well.

Basically, at the end of the day any of the forks mentioned so far in this thread will be a step up in performance compared to your current fork, including the Fox forks you have mentioned. I would heed the advice of others here though and look towards a 20mm thru-axle fork with about 140mm of travel. I weigh about 15-20lbs less then you and have found it to be more or less a necessity for the riding I do. I had narrowed my search down to the RS Revelation and the Manitou Nixon or Minute. The 575 is a very capable bike and screams for an equally capable fork. Don't limit yourself with brand loyalty! I'm sure glad I didn't!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I agree with the comment about the Pike. There are people using them and still raving about them. If there's one fork to get in their line with things sorted out, it's the Pike.

I also found myself buying for the first time ever a non-Zoke last year. It wasn't without it's issues and took me a year to figure out how to get full travel, control poor beginning stroke and mid stroke blow through with extreme progression at the end stroke. I also found the fork was delivered with virtually no oil in the bath, as did others when they were sparked to check by me.

I've even considered Manitou as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
agabriel said:

...I like you, came from a hardtail, small travel front end. 200lbs.

Am now running Float on FS vpp and it works great...fox says float is xc/am.
If you did not like it, or fall outside of it's design spec, you can have it pushed. Fairly light as well , you prob. know this.
Are you breaking stuff now?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ecoast,
Well I have a Marzocchi MZ-Race 100mm on my '04 Kona Cinder Cone and it has seen better days. I'm sure its not the best fork they made (given the price point of the bike), although I never really checked. The fork currently has a bit of wobble and I don't think its safe to hit it hard any more, so I took it easy for the last month or so of riding with the expectation of building/getting something new over the winter. Truth be told I have been rough on this fork over the years and it has stood up well. I probably put at least 1000 miles on it in the woods every year and that doesn't include trips to Mount Snow - they looked at my buddies and I like we were nuts when we went, they really didn't want to give us a pasa where we didn't have 5" travel front and rear.

What features do you have on your float? Do you find that you use them? Has the air caused any extra service trips? Push is one of the reasons I like fox, it seems like you can get them serviced by others who actually race them and have sponsorships.

Anthony

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.