Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to set the sag up on this fork and I'm not getting good results. I'm 160 lbs, probably 170 with clothes and pack on. The fork came with a medium spring, according to the RS website I'm just at the bottom end of this weight wise. I have the preload set as loose as it will go and when I sit on the bike I only get about a 1/2" of sag (believe I should be getting closer to 1" for 25%, this is a 100mm fork). My only thought is that since I'm at the lower limit for the medium spring that is the best it's going to get. I could get a light spring, but I don't plan to keep this fork on my bike for much longer than about six more months (planning to get a Manitou Minute Pro, Marvel Pro, or R7 MRD, but haven't decided for sure which one). I know this fork is a pretty entry level fork, do I just accept this for what it is and move on or am I missing something?

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Unless you are vying for some top tier results, no reason to spend money on the fork unless it is rattling your teeth. There was a day when no one had shocks...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a day when no one had shocks...
Funny you said that. I know this is an entry level fork, but it feels soooo much better than the Answer-Manitou aftermarket shock I put on my hardrock sport in 91. I think I'll just accept it for what it is and upgrade when I can.

·
n00b
40 Posts
Does anybody have any experience with the softer springs?
Fully geared up I come in at around 145lbs (66kg), which is only barely above RockShox's limit of 140lbs between Silver X-Soft and Yellow Soft. So I'm wondering which of the two springs would be more suitable; their guide for the air pressure seems to be on the high side most of the time, so maybe the springs are a bit stiffer than what's stated as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts