Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on racing my SS 29er next week at the 12 Hours of Temecula in southern California. We are expecting a lot of rain and the course will probably be pretty sloppy. Any experiences with good tires that work in the mud would be much appreciated. I am having a tough time finding any mud specific 29er tires.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
unclesam said:
I am planning on racing my SS 29er next week at the 12 Hours of Temecula in southern California. We are expecting a lot of rain and the course will probably be pretty sloppy. Any experiences with good tires that work in the mud would be much appreciated. I am having a tough time finding any mud specific 29er tires.
Bonty Mud X.

·
Sweeper
1,025 Posts
"To Each Their Own".......

I for one have used many "mud" tires here in the Mid-Alantic. The best tire for traction and shedding of mud for me is the Michelin XC A/T.

The Michelin XC A/T sets up tubeless great and has a good volume for its size. These are now my go to Mud tire. Just my opinion.

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
I tried the Michelin XC/AT and it sheds mud well, but my rear tire slipped 3 or 4 times (very minorly) in an hour's time which was kind of dissappointing, so i let out some pressure and it didnt happen again... the only place i slipped was on very dry red clay hardpack so thats proabably why... they are great in central VA mud... and roll pretty fast

edit: i forgot to say, yesterday I got a flat (running tubes) on my front casue I was going around the block with my mom to check out her new tires I put on her bike and I f-in hit someone's sprinkler without noticing (about 28psi) and it jarred my pretty hard and within a block I lost all air... just saying... watch out for sprinklers

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like the michelin in the rear .I have been useing them all winter snow\ mud they work great they just hook up sooo well. I do run tubless at about 20 \ 25 psi = unclesam U will like them good luck in your race

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know a bunch of people that swear by the Karma 1.9's.

I used to use a Crossmark in the mud, and surprisingly it works pretty well. The tread is short enough that nothing sticks to it and clogs it up, and at some point the mud gets so deep and sticky that treat pattern doesn't matter that much anyway.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i will be there but i dont feel like buying new tires as i have an ignitor up front which works alright. i raced on the east coast a few months ago in mud and the xmark on the rear slipped now and then, so for the this weekend i turned the tire around backwards and walla, way more edgy nobs for tracion. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.