Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nice Ventana 29" hardtail that does great on XC rides, but I sometimes ride with guys who do lots of drops and sketchy rollers, so I'm thinking about getting a 6"x6" 26" dually for the fun days.

Anyone else roll like that?

If so, is the transition between the two wheel sizes weird?

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Sort of..... I've got a Rune and a Yelli Screamy. The Yelli can hold its own on shuttle rides with 6" bikes. It does great on steeps and long fast descents. When the trails are chundery or have lots of air, the Rune is far better.

I guess it depends on how biased your are towards pure XC.
I would never use a dedicated XC specific bike, don't race, and the Yelli is ideal for long technical backcountry XC rides I do. I could never go back to long stems and QR forks..

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sort of..... I've got a Rune and a Yelli Screamy. The Yelli can hold its own on shuttle rides with 6" bikes. It does great on steeps and long fast descents. When the trails are chundery or have lots of air, the Rune is far better.

I guess it depends on how biased your are towards pure XC.
I would never use a dedicated XC specific bike, don't race, and the Yelli is ideal for long technical backcountry XC rides I do. I could never go back to long stems and QR forks..
Well, I've got 120mm/20mm Maxel up front and a 80mm stem, fwiw.

·
Chilling out
6,038 Posts
I have a niner mcr-9 with 100mm reba fork, 1x9 setup, for most xc riding.

For DH/FR I have a titus super-moto setup with boxxer fork, etc. *not* something lovely to climb with - but mostly because of the short stem. If I swap the boxxer out for my marz 66 and longer stem then it's not horrid. Still not a 23# bike, but workable for the climbs (particularly since it's 2x9). I also have two 26er wheel sets - one for DH and one for AM/FR-light. The former has a small cassette and the latter a normal MTB cassette.

Having two bikes so very different works really nicely for me. If I get tired of being pounded on the HT then I take out the FS for a few rides. When I get tired of pushing a 37#+ bike around then I take out the HT again.

;^)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.