Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a question. Does anyone use any XACD components? I have seen their site and they have some pretty cool looking stuff and the prices are amazingly low (email them for a price list). I am just worried about their quality... I was looking at the ti/barbon combo bar. I emailed them:

Email # 1:
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 8:45 AM
Subject: Question

I am curious about your ti/carbon mtn handlebars. Have you done strength tests? What is the price of the bar? What is the weight? Thank you for your time.

Reply:

Hi Sir:
Of course,we made strength test in Ti/Carbon MTB handlebar.It is very good.Our price is FOB XI'AN USD45.00/pcs.The weight is 145gram/pcs.
Best Regards!
Porter

The answer didnt satisfy me so I emailed them again:

Email #2:
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: Question

I am sorry, I was not clear. Can you tell me the results of the strengh test. Thank you.

Reply:

The test result is one million times.

Porter

Well, they sound nice and all, but a bit hazy. What do you all think? If anyone has used any of their components please share your experiences. Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
Hey all, I have a question. Does anyone use any XACD components? I have seen their site and they have some pretty cool looking stuff and the prices are amazingly low (email them for a price list). I am just worried about their quality... I was looking at the ti/barbon combo bar. I emailed them:

Email # 1:
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 8:45 AM
Subject: Question

I am curious about your ti/carbon mtn handlebars. Have you done strength tests? What is the price of the bar? What is the weight? Thank you for your time.

Reply:

Hi Sir:
Of course,we made strength test in Ti/Carbon MTB handlebar.It is very good.Our price is FOB XI'AN USD45.00/pcs.The weight is 145gram/pcs.
Best Regards!
Porter

The answer didnt satisfy me so I emailed them again:

Email #2:
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: Question

I am sorry, I was not clear. Can you tell me the results of the strengh test. Thank you.

Reply:

The test result is one million times.

Porter

Well, they sound nice and all, but a bit hazy. What do you all think? If anyone has used any of their components please share your experiences. Thank you.
of all the parts and frame i got from them the only thing that is reasonably good is the stem and bars. too many problems with the frame...biggest being the irregular shape of the seat tube leaving the post unable to be inserted deeper and after awhile, to be pulled out!!

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Flite said:
of all the parts and frame i got from them the only thing that is reasonably good is the stem and bars. too many problems with the frame...biggest being the irregular shape of the seat tube leaving the post unable to be inserted deeper and after awhile, to be pulled out!!
Agreed. I bought a frame and seatpost together, and the post would NOT fit into the frame right. Frame was very light, but flexy.

Don't get too excited about those prices either.. On top of the 45 bucks for the carbon bar you're look in at, also consider:

*international wire transfer fee (~40 bucks -flat rate) - although some types of checking accounts will do this for free...but only pretty fancy ones...forget it if you have free checking.

*bank fee's in between. I got dinged an extra 20 bucks as a fee on thier side....ie, thier bank charged to receive international wire transfer fee

*international shipping, mine was 80 bucks for frame and a couple small parts.

So net, you'll probably wind up spending close to 100 bucks for your generic no-warrenty fly by night carbon bar, when you could have got an Easton for close or less $$ right here at home with world class reputation and warrenty.

If you do buy, I would get together with some buddies and make it a big orders such that you spread the transaction costs across a big order....buy ti disc brake rotors, ti v-brake studs, in mass QTY, sell them on ebay, cover costs....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts