Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used these KMC x9 chains? They seem pretty light and the shop says they are super durable.......even stronger and more durable then the SRAM 991. Any info or help would be appreciated. I ride all mountain ...... sometimes 30 miles with hills and sometimes 30 miles with lots of drops and DH stuff. I will be running an XTR cassette.

TheX9 SL Silver is 229g

SRAM 991 is 300g

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
V2PRODUCTS said:
Has anyone used these KMC x9 chains? They seem pretty light and the shop says they are super durable.......even stronger and more durable then the SRAM 991. Any info or help would be appreciated. I ride all mountain ...... sometimes 30 miles with hills and sometimes 30 miles with lots of drops and DH stuff. I will be running an XTR cassette.

TheX9 SL Silver is 229g

SRAM 991 is 300g
the KMC X9 SL is not 229g. Uncut it weighs 255g.Cut to lenght expect it to weigh about 245g. It is an easy way to shave precious weight without hurting performance.

While you are at it you could also install the even lighter KMC X10 SL which also works on 9s drivetrains without any problems. This chain is lighter ( 238g uncut) and weighs around 225g cut to lenght.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I couldn't get the X10SL to behave correctly with my SRAM X.9 front derailleur and Race Face Deus XC crankset no matter what I did. The chain kept getting tossed over the side of the big ring - also too many clicks to get it to shift up the front rings. Eventually I tried the X9SL instead, and all the problems went away. I know a lot of people use it without issue, but I just wanted to interject that not everyone is 100% trouble free using the X10SL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.