Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put on a new X9 rear shifter a couple weeks ago. I have gone for a couple rides without issue. I noticed yesterday that the housing was in bad shape in a couple areas so I installed new housing. This is hard to explain but, if I am in a lower gear and shift up it works fine. If I then go to shift back down, as I start to push the paddle I can hear and feel the shifter click. The click is felt if I put a finger on the upshift paddle. This is at the very beginning of the stroke, well before there is enough tension to start moving the derailleur.

If I do the same scenario but instead of shifting back down I grab the rear derailleur and move it, I can hear the same click in the shifter.

I have lubed all pivot points on the derailleur. Made sure the shifter cable was not binding anywhere. I removed all cable tension and tried to recreate the problem but could not without tension. My shifting does work fine but this is extremely annoying.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After tearing the shifter down multiple times, I was able to trace down the click. When upshifting the metal mechanism that engages with the teeth does not fully return. By starting to downshift the tension is released and the mechanism returns and I get the click. I have noticed a similar symptom on an X7. Is this just the design of these shifters? I tried greasing all of the internals but the problem persisted. I hate little noises like this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts