Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to go 2x10 on my Anthem 29er. The places I ride are really hard on cranks and I don't feel like destroying an XTR crank (the only Shimano 2x10 option at the moment) The X9 crank looks to be a solid value. My question is this: can I just use that crank with the SLX rear derailleur. I don't see why not, but just wanted to check here. Thanks.

·
Obsession? Its a Passion!
129 Posts
Yes, you can. Make sure you have dyna-sys shifters as well. Just be sure not to mix chainrings, chains, and cassettes. Dyna-sys is meant to work only with other dyna-sys cogs. (Dyna-sys cassette with Raceface chainrings is a no-no). Go with a SRAM 10 speed cassette to avoid this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
jrabikerepair said:
Yes, you can. Make sure you have dyna-sys shifters as well. Just be sure not to mix chainrings, chains, and cassettes. Dyna-sys is meant to work only with other dyna-sys cogs. (Dyna-sys cassette with Raceface chainrings is a no-no). Go with a SRAM 10 speed cassette to avoid this.
Mix all you want. Shimano, SRAM, RF etc. just match 10 speed with 10 speed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
jrabikerepair said:
There's nothing unique or ground breaking about Dyna-Sys. Shimano always says not to mix and match their components and many do w/o any problems. Just make sure you are using 10 speed Shimano shifters with 10 speed Shimano RD. Other than that, mix and match to your heart's content.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Pretty sure the giant uses a shimano press fit 90/92 BB. Only way to fit the sram cranks is to use the gxp version and an adapter for the BB.

Look into the race face double crank, as they make a version for BB92

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.